small pleco...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

flyhockey1037

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
what is a pleco that won't get very big, that will eat lots of algae, that won't destroy my plants, and won't destroy my other fish. i have 2 otos, 2 corys, and an upside down cat, but i need another cat for algae duty, the otos can't do it by themselves. any suggestions for a small fish that can perform algae clean up duty if there isnt a plec that meets the requirements?

There are quite a few small Plecs. I would advise you to go to -

http://planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm

Click on Cat e log and scroll down to the L-numbers and check some out. Heres some ideas for you-

Leopard Frog L134
King Tiger L066
Zebra Plec L046
Clown Plec L104
Flash Plec L204

Ofcourse all these fish vary in price and care, so tell us what you think and we can go from there.

bulldog188 said:
I believe zebra plecs won't eat algae they are meat eaters. :D Try a bristlenose.. they love the stuff and remain small. :D
He said he wanted a fish that wouldn't eat algae.

that won't eat algae

As you say Zebra Plecs prefer a more meatier diet, as do the others I suggested. :)

oopsies!!! it was like midnight when i first posted so i made a mistake, i corrected it now. read the original again^^^^^^^^^ sorry :fun:

What size is your tank and what other fish do you have in it.

I don't know many plecs that stay and small and will eat algae for a long time. My plecs don't touch it! I'd suggest getting more otos, 2 isn't really enough anyway as they like to be in groups.

I have also read the farlowella catfish eat algae but these get a big bigger, so again it depends on the size of your tank. My farlowella (twig) catfish is about 6" long but only about .5" wide.

ladynaoko said:
Scribbled Plecs only grow 4.5-6 inches.
Can be quite pricey though.

I love my Scribbled Plec :wub:
Same fish as King Tiger L066.

its only a ten gallon tank, so i figure the absolute max length for any fish is 3.5 to 4 inches...i guess all i can do is get a couple more otos.

There's bit on the outside of the glass and a bit on the inside and there's a magnet on the outside bit so the inside sticks. The inside bit is abbrasive and scrapes the algae off the glass.

Here's an example of a good one MagFloat Link

Most reactions

Back