Small Nano Recommendations Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Boothros

Reaction score
Hi, I really want to break into marine and to see how I get on with the hobby, I would like to aquire a small tank to house blood shrimps which I am very taken with. However, I have to admit to not knowing a huge amount about marine invertebrates so have a few questions if you don't mind bearing with me! Firstly the tank, this WILL be a small tank because of where I want to put it and I assume that the same as with fresh water, the sort of size I would be looking at would only be suitable for invertebrates. I havn't settled on a model or capacity yet but ideally the tank of the tank must be no more than 30 cm in width (though I am not quite so restricted in length and height). Something like the Aqua One 320 would be ideal sizewise and apparantly, there is an additional marine pack available with it. However, all I can see from their website is this tank being used for freshwater. What are the minimum requirements for shrimps please? Will I need a sump? I will be using live rock and am not very interested in keeping corals (although I do quite admire some of the fan corals). If I did need a sump obviously this might influence the overall type or size of the tank. Am I being over ambitious with this small type of tank? ( I understand the smaller the tank the harder it will be to keep) If the capacity were say anything from 15 - 25 litres, how many blood shrimps could I reasonably wish to house (in fact how many would be suitable in a happy family group?) Do any suitable tankmates come immediately to mind? I know I am being a bit too ambitious for fish. What sort of plants can I grow? I know NOTHING whatsoever about marine planting, infact have seen very little of it anywhere. Sorry for all the questions, newbies like me must drive you to distraction and I keep my freshwater shrimps without even thinking about it really, it's just that this is all so different I'd love to get it right. I have by the way, about £250 to spend.

In this case, you may want to skip marine until you can get a bigger tank. I started out with a 38L tank, and it was very difficult to maintain. When you just start marine, bigger=more success.

If you decide to continue we will help you as best as possible

Cfc

Edit. You could only keep 1 blood shrimp in there, if they are the ones i think they are Lysmata Debelius. Its too small for a pair, these guys can get 3" at full length

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back