Small freshwater fish

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

WetPetMum

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ciano 58l 60x30x30
I’ve been looking online at some ideas of what to keep in the tank, I’m not entirely sure I like the look of the pseudomugil, they all look like they’re upside down.
The Endlers Livebearer apparently don’t do well in a strong flow and my fluval u2 is pretty good..
Does anyone have any experience with Sarawak Rasbora? They fit my parameters and temps and are apparently quite fun to watch. I also like their colour. Just wondering how many to opt for and what they would possibly pair well with in my tank or if they’d rather be alone?
(GH 10 temp 24c)

For attention, Here’s a pic of one of my shrimp earlier..

Attachments

• 68E5C94D-5E11-41DF-8625-40C7C24F5DD0.jpeg
    68E5C94D-5E11-41DF-8625-40C7C24F5DD0.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 55
Ciano 58l 60x30x30
I’ve been looking online at some ideas of what to keep in the tank, I’m not entirely sure I like the look of the pseudomugil, they all look like they’re upside down.
The Endlers Livebearer apparently don’t do well in a strong flow and my fluval u2 is pretty good..
Does anyone have any experience with Sarawak Rasbora? They fit my parameters and temps and are apparently quite fun to watch. I also like their colour. Just wondering how many to opt for and what they would possibly pair well with in my tank or if they’d rather be alone?
(GH 10 temp 24c)

For attention, Here’s a pic of one of my shrimp earlier..
not sure if the rasboras will nip the shrimp, but for any type of rasbora, a group of 10+ is highly reccomended, they will be even more fun to watch!

I’m also thinking of getting some loaches to eat those bladder snails who are taking over the tank now, I’ve seen some Rosy loach that might do well with the newly hatched snails up to 3mm and they themselves only grow to 2” so I’m thinking my tank would handle 4/6 quite well.
Only thing is my gravel is small but not that fine. Do you think I could get away with building sand as a layer over the top for their comfort of would I need to buy very fine gravel?

I’m also thinking of getting some loaches to eat those bladder snails who are taking over the tank now, I’ve seen some Rosy loach that might do well with the newly hatched snails up to 3mm and they themselves only grow to 2” so I’m thinking my tank would handle 4/6 quite well.
Only thing is my gravel is small but not that fine. Do you think I could get away with building sand as a layer over the top for their comfort of would I need to buy very fine gravel?

I did a search for "Rosy Loach" and found three different species, can you give us the species scientific name so we know what we are discussing.

Second, it is never a good idea to acquire any fish to deal with an issue. I don't have the species here, but all loaches are shoaling and that means minimum numbers, maybe six but some need more; some are very territorial, others less. And whatever other attributes the species may have.

Third, most would probably enjoy snacking on shrimp, crustaceans are a natural food in many if not most fish habitats.

As for the substrate, I recommend not mixing different substances. The sand will end up at the bottom with any gravel on top. Loaches that bury as most do need sand, especially the small sized species. Even larger ones--my Botia kubotai went to town when I changed fine gravel to sand, they had a field day excavating their individual "homes."

Since the OP is in the UK, the loaches are probably the ones listed on Maidenhead Aquatics website.

@WetPetMum Just to warn you that if you did see them on MA's website, I have never seen them in a shop. I've looked for them myself.

Since the OP is in the UK, the loaches are probably the ones listed on Maidenhead Aquatics website.

@WetPetMum Just to warn you that if you did see them on MA's website, I have never seen them in a shop. I've looked for them myself.
They’re in my local MA shop. Just four left on Sunday afternoon when I was in checking out small fish for a possible RO tank.

Hi all, sorry it’s been a busy afternoon:)
Yes it’s the above loach Petruichthys Rosy.
I only have a 60x30x30 I could take out the front gravel and replace it with something finer..
at this stage I’m not set on anything really, I would just like the ease of having some loaches to help control the snails, I’d be happy to keep them forever too :)
I was wondering if I got them would I be full stocking wise with 4 Amano?

As it suggests on SF, a group of 10 in your sized tank is fine. Amano Shrimp may get eaten though by the loaches, depending upon size (of the shrimp and loaches). I would change the substrate to sand at one go before getting any fish, it will be much easier now than later, and given this is a small tank the suitable species will be nano-type, and sand is going to be needed for most all of them.

I would not count on loaches to deal with snails. Some loach species do this quite well, but in my experience with other "dwarf" species, snails survive very well. Even my Botia kubotai did not have much (if frankly any) impact on the pond snails and Malaysian Livebearing.

As it suggests on SF, a group of 10 in your sized tank is fine. Amano Shrimp may get eaten though by the loaches, depending upon size (of the shrimp and loaches). I would change the substrate to sand at one go before getting any fish, it will be much easier now than later, and given this is a small tank the suitable species will be nano-type, and sand is going to be needed for most all of them.

I would not count on loaches to deal with snails. Some loach species do this quite well, but in my experience with other "dwarf" species, snails survive very well. Even my Botia kubotai did not have much (if frankly any) impact on the pond snails and Malaysian Livebearing.
I’ve been reading more about them, 6/10 would be a good number for my size tank I’ve also found a sort of local supplier 1 hours drive called sweet knowle aquatics? Never heard of them, family business with good reviews as far as I can see.
They may be a good choice yet.. hope they can eat the small snails I don’t mind catching them on cucumber slices to help :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back