Small Betta Tank Setups Under 30L

aqua 40 is 25 litres (just googled it). Aqua have a habit of doing that, I remember thinking their 620T was 620 litres and its something like 120 :crazy:

I love some of these tanks, I am after one of those aqua-qube theyre called, I could have got a 15l for £30, which is cheap, but I have nowhere to put it :(

My University Setup.
A 5 gallon tank with the Elite Stingray 5. I opted for fake plants and a very thin layer of gravel mainly just for my own convenience. Plastic plants are forgiving if I forget to clean the tank or turn the tank lights on one day. And the thin layer of gravel means quick and easy tank cleanup. I'd planned to add more plants and possibly convert to live plants, but Alpha (the Betta) is much more active and "sociable" with the open space. The airstone needs to be moved though as it's disrupting the corner where he builds his bubble nests (Don't have one currently as he's still angry with me for moving him home for christmas break and then bringing him back to residence with me.)

I had hoped to keep corys or something in the tank with him, but he's pretty aggressive when it comes to other fish in his space. Despite being in the tank for over 3 months, he only JUST re-discovered the cave (He found it in his first week, and then never used it again). He's pulled disappearing acts twice on me this week, hiding in the cave JUST out of my sight. He's attempted the whole jumping thing a couple times and I've found him sitting on TOP of the magfloat a couple times too (with his head out of the water). Had I known about that, and his habit of squeezing into tiny places where he will barely fit and his habit of headbutting the spaces that are too small for him to fit into, I would have named him something more appropriate than Alpha. :p

DSCF4419-1.jpg

DSCF4422.jpg

I want to add more plants to my Betta tank... as like background cover to hide the filter/heater better, but the LFS closest to the university not only doesn't stock fish, but it doesn't even have your basic water conditioner and I'm not back at home with my usual LFS until mid-february. Also doesn't help that I haven't found any plastic plants that fit my criteria (no neon colours, nothing sharp/jagged, nothing tacky).

You need a lot more plants than that. Bettas come from heavily planted waters and prefer lots o bushy plants to hide in.

I would also raise one red flag..those plants you have look to be plastic which is a really bad idea with a betta. Plastic plants very often have hidden sharp edges and little sharp bits sticking off them whic are well known for catching on bettas delicate long fins and tearing them, which can lead to infections.

You should replace them with soft silk plants instead, plenty of them. Ebay is a great place to look for packs of silk plants. I just bought some for my aunt . 10 large silk plants for about £12 plus a couple of quid postage . That's a steal considering such plants are about £3-4 individually in shops. There are aso ebay aquatic shops which will sell basic things like dechlorinator ect. It's really worth a look :good:

You need a lot more plants than that. Bettas come from heavily planted waters and prefer lots o bushy plants to hide in.

I would also raise one red flag..those plants you have look to be plastic which is a really bad idea with a betta. Plastic plants very often have hidden sharp edges and little sharp bits sticking off them whic are well known for catching on bettas delicate long fins and tearing them, which can lead to infections.

You should replace them with soft silk plants instead, plenty of them. Ebay is a great place to look for packs of silk plants. I just bought some for my aunt . 10 large silk plants for about £12 plus a couple of quid postage . That's a steal considering such plants are about £3-4 individually in shops. There are aso ebay aquatic shops which will sell basic things like dechlorinator ect. It's really worth a look :good:

I've tested my plants against a pair of tights. and they are only temporary.
I'm from Canada, and for silk plants in my area, I'm looking at $7-8 each. On a university student budget, I can't afford that at this point in time. I can't afford to spend more on silk plants than I do on groceries. I've been considering switching to live plants in May when I move back home.

The betta has been in that tank for months, and the only tears in his fins have been self-inflicted from him attacking himself. When I first bought him, his fins were exceptionally long for his body size, and when he turned around his tail would be in his face.

The problem with eBay is the shipping. Shipping kills me. The shipping charge is usually as much as my purchase.

Aly you said you wanted the aqua-qube, one seller does them for £30.00 plus postage on ebay (others want £50 plus postage) for a 3.5gallon

Aly you said you wanted the aqua-qube, one seller does them for £30.00 plus postage on ebay (others want £50 plus postage) for a 3.5gallon
Oh Haych, can you pm me a linky? I am currently watching one that is within 10 miles from me but starting price is £50.... :unsure:

Awww thank you :hyper:

The bottom tank has my Betta Lotus in, you can tell by the big sponge over the filter to slow the flow :lol:

Top tank has Endlers, Embers and Corydoras.

(Not that you asked the stocking, but thought I would tell you :lol: )

Most reactions

Back