Slugs? Or Something

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So yesterday while I was arranging some stuff around in the tank, after moving my tank lid I noticed some brown squishy thing siting there...I grabbed it on my finger and it was wiggling a bit and looked like it had an antennae or something coming out.  My first thought was, is this a shelled snail, but I didn't really think they live outside of snails, so next best guess is a slug...but where would I have gotten a slug? are there freshwater slugs? It was brownish red, once I flicked it into the water it was immediately eaten.  I did get some new plants yesterday but they were the tetra kind in sealed plastic tubes guaranteed to be pest free and I didn't see anything as I rinsed them off first.  Also got a couple more nerites and kuhlis. I'm stumped.

Idk. I had found little black worms in my filter once.... lol. Never did find exactly what they were...

Freshwater flatworm perhaps? if you Google images see if it matches what you saw 
smile.png

BelldandyShanny said:
So yesterday while I was arranging some stuff around in the tank, after moving my tank lid I noticed some brown squishy thing siting there...I grabbed it on my finger and it was wiggling a bit and looked like it had an antennae or something coming out.  My first thought was, is this a shelled snail, but I didn't really think they live outside of snails, so next best guess is a slug...but where would I have gotten a slug? are there freshwater slugs? It was brownish red, once I flicked it into the water it was immediately eaten.  I did get some new plants yesterday but they were the tetra kind in sealed plastic tubes guaranteed to be pest free and I didn't see anything as I rinsed them off first.  Also got a couple more nerites and kuhlis. I'm stumped.

Hitchhikers come into tanks from lots of sources, but the plants are the biggest.  And when they say 'pest free', it really means, "Any pest that arrives in your tank via this plant comes at no charge to you."

bahahahaha!!!!!!! that was super funny, started a coughing fit =( Still though just as an example, and my bad it was top fin not tetra, this is what I'm talking about by tube thingy, I didn't get this plant obviously since it's for a terrarium. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3924442&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

Typically I have good luck with them, but I think the thing has been in my tank a while, it wouldn't have had enough time to get to the top under my lid

Yup... I've bought stuff like that too... but they really can come, regardless of their guarantee.  There's no way they can be 100% certain.

Most reactions

Back