slime/film on top of betta's tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

;) I get the same thing on the surface of the tanks. It doesn't seem to harm anyone especially since my guys are currently happy little larks since I stopped giving them the killer blackworms.

Seriously though, I use Stress Coat to condition the water and feel it's the aloe in the stress coat causing the surface oil. I used Amquel/NovaAqua combination but then wondered why I was putting twice as many chemicals in the water and switched back. I also noticed that the fish reacted better to the Stress Coat than the other. Also there was no trace of amonia in the water after using stress coat so there was no reason to put in another chemical. There was a marked difference in my guys when I went to the Amquel/Nova/Aqua combination and quite frankly I became uneasy about using them. Stress Coat seems to work well with them and bubble nests appear almost immediately. I might also add the local LFS uses Stress Coat too which means less of a change for the guys. I also make sure when I pick up a new fish that they leave it in the water it's currently in and not add any new water to them.

Well the surface of the middle section is nice and clear today but I think the filters weren't working too well before and I got some gunk out of the impeller tube with a cocktail stick so they are working better. So it does appear to be the surface movement that stops the oily build up in my case.

Also I have it on all of the surfaces of my jarred guys that have no movement on their surface which seems to support the theory for me :)

ya thats odd....my bf (bettabub) has the same problem. he has a divided 10g with a betta on each side. only one side has a filter (sponge) and thats the side that doesn't get the white coating. the other side gets it in massive amounts every day.

and i had that problem with one of my tanks...one unfiltered 10g, it kept getting the film. all the rest of the tanks i have (also unfiltered, un-moving water) had absolutely no film on them at all.

very odd.

It must be the surface agitation, agreed.
For 2 days now i've had Archie in his new tank, with a slow bubble trickle in it and no film.

hmmph

Most reactions

Back