Slate In Your Tank?

chigwellhammer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I really want to use some slate in my tank but not sure how to position it? If you have it in yours share some pictures please so i can get some ideas.

Thanks

Hii :) This is my current 30 gallon tank. I made some caves with slate rock. All the fish love them. When I get my 55 gallon I want to do something different though, I didnt know if this is what you were looking for!

0707121950.jpg

Try using one larger piece of slate as a sort of roof above different supporting stones? I find that using only slate limits the shapes that you can create
2cd5d8ea.jpg

very simple example I'm using at the moment- just change as you see fit to suit your tank, how big you want it, the colour and thickness of the stones- get building!

Certain types of rock are best avoided in aquariums, such as those containing heavy metals/irons etc.

Geologist by trade so ask back here if unsure, should be able to at least steer you away from any unsuitable rocks :)

Hope this helps

Ps make sure you use slate not shale, shale can be thought of as raw slate.... Organic compounds etc are squashed out when shale is put under pressure, the resulting slate is then nice and hard with only a fraction of the organic crud :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back