Skittish gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tgo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a thicklipped gourami in a 29 gallon community tank and he is really shy and skittish. It has gotten a bit better since I brought him home over a month ago. It's like he would see me from across the room amd dart behind the vals. Sometimes he freaks right out and bumps into stuff so I'm always as careful as I can be. The plants haven't really filled in yet, but there is still some places to hide. I have owned honey and sparkling gourami.amd there not this bad. Is this normal for this variety of gourami? Any suggestions on how to make him feel safer in this tank?

Attachments

• 20210508_142231.jpg
    20210508_142231.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 79
What other fish are in the tank? How new is he to the tank?

Other fish include 12 cardinals, 1 lemon tetra and 1 cherry barb and 6 amano shrimp. I've had him for about 6 weeks

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Add some floating plants so it's not as bright for him.

---------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day.

---------------
If the fish tank is in a quiet room, either move it into a different room where there is more people moving around it. This can help the fish get use to movement and they stress less when you go in the room.

If you can't do that, then have a television on during the day. You don't need the noise but the light and movement can help the fish get use to things moving around them.

You can use a fan and tie some ribbon to the fan cover. Have the ribbon about 12-18inches long. As the fan blows the ribbon waves about and can help settle the fish. If you have the fan on oscillate, it works better.

Other fish include 12 cardinals, 1 lemon tetra and 1 cherry barb and 6 amano shrimp. I've had him for about 6 weeks
The Cherry Barb might be nipping at him. They are known for their aggressive fin nipping.

Have you noticed any aggression between the barb and the gourami?

Thanks for the suggestions. My light is on a timer and it has that sunrise/sunset mode so it isn't so abrupt. The tank is in a room that is heavily trafficked as well. My parameters have been good. I test 0 ammonia and nitrite, and nitrates are about 5 ppm. My ph is about 7.6-7.8.

The Cherry Barb might be nipping at him. They are known for their aggressive fin nipping.

Have you noticed any aggression between the barb and the gourami?
There has been no nipping at all. He is an old cherry about 6 years old and he just chills, sometimes even with the gourami

I should mention when I got him I.made the mistake of getting two others. They were not getting along so I recommend the two that were fighting amd left this guy

Has anything been added to the tank recently? Have any of the other fish been acting weird?

Nothing unusual. I added the amanos last week but his behavior has been like this since i got him. In the brief period I had the other two in there they seemed unusually skittish as well.

He will come up to eat, he has good color, and he seems content grazing on algae.

I'm very late to this post, and perhaps things are better, but there don't look to be many hiding places in the tank. Some fish are braver when they have more cover.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back