Skinny Bala Sharks?

Cocomojo

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So I got myself a nice deal on a 75 gallon tank/stand/canister set up... However it came with two Bala Sharks and a Common Pleco. The Balas are very active, and don't seem to have any issues breathing. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing them so big, but they seem to just have oddly shaped bodies, and they really really shine along the top of their back. Hopefully I got this posting pics things figured out. Also forgive the algae in the corners... any advice on that would be appreciated..

P5220091.jpg


P5220092.jpg


P5220093.jpg


P5220094.jpg


P5220095.jpg
 
first off, algae is a good thing, so no worries there, and wow, i have never seen them so skinny before. I wonder if the guy was feeding them. WOW, they are usually very thick fish. Just keep feeding them, i bet they bulk up for you. I love Bala's. very cool fish.
 
I don't think he was, apparantly his power went out while on few week vacations and the autofeeder stopped working.. and some of his other fish had died.. so didn't care anymore. I honestly would prefer not to have Bala sharks, but would much rather nurse these guys back to health before asking the local shop if they would be willing to take them. Be it I'm afraid I'll grow attached... and have to buy another tank for what I really want.... lol
 
where do you live, I will take them from you. If you have to ship them i will pay shipping. You should nurse them back to good health firs though. If your in the USA I will take them off your hands if you dont want them. I Co-Run a fish rescue, so they will be in good hands. Balas are great fish.
 
I am in western wisconsin. about an hour east of Minneapolis, MN. The local store here would be a good home for them if they were to take them. But if they weren't I would have to find a new nice home.
 
hmm one of them looks abit bent, maybe some good quality water and food may help, there ment to look nice and chunky with a stream lined look, but they do tend to look skiny when younger, a while ago i took one from someone on here who had same situation as you, it took around a month and took on the normal appeance, but as for the bent looking one iam unsure about that...
newoakwoodtanklook044.jpg
 
i agree with nelly good quality clean water and and feed them up on live bloodworm or any live or frozen high protien food that will fatten them up and it might striaghten the it up with a good healthy diet also wheatgerm fish foods like for koi and calcium rich amphibian food will help with the bent shark king british turtle and terrapin complete would be good as its got food pellets 62% ocean shrimp 25% freez dried river shrimp 10% and 3% krill my fish eat it and love it aswell as my gf's turtle
 
Another question on the pair of Bala's. First time I've seen them do this... just fed them some food.. they ate and swam about for a few. They then decided to be as close to each other as possible chasing each other around nipping at the sides of each other? Never at fins.. just pushing their mouths against each others body. Tried lookin for anything via google, just couldn't find any info on that behavior
 
It's quite normal so don't panic, mine often do this, it's very difficult to breed these fish in the home aqaurium, need at least a meter long tank bigger better and shallow water, read up on them once, cant remember everything
 
Made a quick little video of them.. bare in mind the tank was set up very quickly due to fact I had live fish/pre cycled filter waiting to be attached so the decor is not at all what I have in mind. Will be changing once I get these guys rehomed. Just fed them some flakes and then they swam all over for a good 20 minutes afterwards. Video was taken on a regular digital camera, hence quality not there lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkcYV0dm7IA
 
Will be tryin some tomorrow night. Fish shop was closed for the memorial day weekend here.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top