Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sister has NEVER changed her water!!!

Discussion in 'Coldwater Fish and Ponds' started by HeyB, Nov 17, 2019.

1. HeyB

HeyB New Member

So I’m new here I created my account so I could post this.

I’ve been in the hobby for about 3 years now and am currently cycling a new tank for some cherry shrimp. I was talking to my sister about getting a bigger tank for her goldfish (carnival goldfish in a 7gal by himself) and then I find out she has NEVER changed his water. She only tops it off when it gets low and puts a new filter in her HOB every few weeks. Also she only used a dechlorinator once when she first filled the tank and this was 3 YEARS ago! HOW is this fish still alive. I feel so bad for him. I’m going to get her a 15gal maybe a 20 if I can talk her into it and bring her an api test kit and a bottle of prime and stability. I hope she will take it more seriously after explaining everything to her. But how are his gills still functioning?! He seems happy every time I see him I don’t understand.

2. FishFinatic77

FishFinatic77 Fish Crazy

Oh my god, I can't believe that fish is still alive! Like you said, get her a bigger tank, a test kit, prime and stability, also get her a gravel vacuum. Maybe you could find her a book on how to take care of fish and walk her through all the important points. Teach her how to perform a water change and how to properly change out a filter cartridge. Maybe you could even buy some filter sponge and poly fiber to replace the cartridge. It's really great that you are helping your sister's fish, and maybe, once your sister learns more about aquarium maintenance, she will enjoy the hobby more. Good luck!