Si's Fishless Cycle

So what exactly is 'regular testing'?

When change am I looking for that illustrates I should start testing for nitrites?

As soon as ammonia drops you should have nitrites appearing. Then once they peak and start dropping you'll get your nitrates, so just start testing the next thing once you see the trigger of the first thing dropping (I really hope that makes sense...my brain has gone on strike).
Regular for you will definitely be no more than daily. But as WD said on here (at least I think it was here). It's good to get into the habit of testing around the same time daily so that when you get further on and you're testing every 12 hours you're more likely to remember.

As soon as ammonia drops you should have nitrites appearing. Then once they peak and start dropping you'll get your nitrates, so just start testing the next thing once you see the trigger of the first thing dropping (I really hope that makes sense...my brain has gone on strike).
Regular for you will definitely be no more than daily. But as WD said on here (at least I think it was here). It's good to get into the habit of testing around the same time daily so that when you get further on and you're testing every 12 hours you're more likely to remember.

Thank you very much :)

I think I understand everything now :lol:

You know how much I like graphs :)

n-cycle.gif

So its been five days and all readings have been the same.

I was just wondering how you clean the test tubes. I just rinse them out a load, but should i rinse them with boiling water?

my brother was telling me about amano shrimp too, I really want some now! he said he put his hand in the water and he came and sat on his hand haha and how he plays around with the other fish :lol:

I rinse the test tubes with tap water when done, and before using them I rinse again with a little tank water then fill to the right level for testing

Amano shrimp are cool, but there are other nice shrimp too....I want to get some red claw macro shrimp at some point ion the future :)
http://www.theshrimptank.com/

I rinse the test tubes with tap water when done, and before using them I rinse again with a little tank water then fill to the right level for testing

Amano shrimp are cool, but there are other nice shrimp too....I want to get some red claw macro shrimp at some point ion the future :)
http://www.theshrimptank.com/

Will my ammonia drop in about 5-10 days then? :blink:

No idea, but there are quite a few fish-less cycle diaries posted on these forums, you might get a good idea reading those?

^^ Sounds like a good plan to me.

You could also try googling for fish clubs/societies in your area. Or ring around your LFS, you might get lucky and find someone with mature media or some filter gunk they'll give you. It would help speed things along :)

Will my ammonia drop in about 5-10 days then? :blink:

No idea, but there are quite a few fish-less cycle diaries posted on these forums, you might get a good idea reading those?

ah right, I just asked because of the graph :p

Thanks - those red claw macro shrimp look really good too!

^^ Sounds like a good plan to me.

You could also try googling for fish clubs/societies in your area. Or ring around your LFS, you might get lucky and find someone with mature media or some filter gunk they'll give you. It would help speed things along :)

would it be ok to put some mature media in the next week?

I'll message my brother...

Shouldn't my ammonia be going down by now?

It's been the same for 6 days. Seems normally it goes down after 4-5...

tested pH, nitrite and ammonia today

I have a question about filter floss. I thought i'd get some because I have sand substrate. Your not really meant to take the filter out of the tank are you? and where shall I put it? (u3 filter)

edit:

why is 2 and 4 ppm so close colour wise :huh:

CIMG3340.jpg

Taking the filter out for a little bit is fine, leaving it to dry out is not good though...if it will be out of the tank for any length of time I would suggest doing it when you do a water change so it can be put in the tank water whilst out.

Those colours are VERY close, holding the test tube up against a light background may help...the test is obviously made to highlight the gradual changes at the lower end. Not helpful when you need to figure out wjhat amount of ammonia to top up with though...

Is that a API test kit? I think the next kits I buy will be Salifert ones...unless that's one of those
blink.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back