Simply Too Fat

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HooDude

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, so I happened to get a 120 gallon tank for $100 Canadian. It is second hand, and i'm not 100% sure that the silicone in it is any good.

However, I have a small problem with it. It is simply too fat for my house. I live in a 60 year old house, and from what I have read, a 10 gallon tank weighs 100 lbs right?

I don't think my house can support 1200 lbs all in one spot! If I put it in the basement its going to suck because i'll never go down to look at it. That and there aren't any taps down there to connect my python syphon too. What should I do? What do you guys do? Do you just leisurely plop down 1200 pounds of fishtank beside your bed? How do you do it so that it doesn't go through your floor?

I had a look at the structure of the house, but I don't think it would be possible to put it on any of the main 'I' beam supports because they all have walls on them.

:crazy: I want to have a 120 gallon tank! :crazy:

Anyone have any ideas?

Get a builder in to strengthen the floor where the tank is going,they will be able to rig up some sort of steel or timber construction from the basement to hold up the ceiling/floor.Or if you any good at DIY attempt it yourself but with the tank weighing somewhere around 990 lbs id be very cautious of this :no:

A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds. What i would suggest is putting a thick piece of particle board or plywood on the floor and the tank stand on that. That way the ank puts the pressure on the board, which in turn has a much larger area of pressure distributed on the floor. The board can cover several floor joists that should hold just fine. This is what i did with my 100 gal tank in my parents 80 yr old house UPSTAIRS!! hehe Was there a year or so, no probs.

try to put it near a main wall and in a corner is good. they all thaught the floor would collaps in my room with 3 tanks meh so much they know... creek better not move too much or jump about.

Most reactions

trending

Back