Simple Apisto Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

36Bones

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking for some simple stocking options. A friend is giving me a breeding pair of Agassizi Gold Reds. The only spare tank I have available at the moment is an unused 75G. The rest of my tanks are set and I don't want to upset them. That's a lot of room for one pair. What would be some simple light generic stocking options here? I'll be adding some plants to this tank and some Mopani, just because I have a lot of extra.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wouldn't consider a 75 too big for a pair of Apistos. It's a 48 inch tank, most of the time, and in my Apisto breeding days, I favoured using 30 inch tanks as a minimum. It helps for managing aggression, and giving the pair room to move.

True, I have had people online tell me I was wrong for liking keeping fish with sparse populations in natural looking habitats, but it has worked well for me. I have one 75 with a small number of sexing out Apisto-sized central Africans occupying the bottom. I have another waiting for a single pair of Pelvicachromis I am hoping for.

You could have a shoal or two of tetras up high, since the tank is deep. It's the size of the base that matters for a dwarf Cichlid though, and the base of a 75 isn't huge.

I wouldn't consider a 75 too big for a pair of Apistos. It's a 48 inch tank, most of the time, and in my Apisto breeding days, I favoured using 30 inch tanks as a minimum. It helps for managing aggression, and giving the pair room to move.

True, I have had people online tell me I was wrong for liking keeping fish with sparse populations in natural looking habitats, but it has worked well for me. I have one 75 with a small number of sexing out Apisto-sized central Africans occupying the bottom. I have another waiting for a single pair of Pelvicachromis I am hoping for.

You could have a shoal or two of tetras up high, since the tank is deep. It's the size of the base that matters for a dwarf Cichlid though, and the base of a 75 isn't huge.
Thanks for the advice. This might be a good tank to put a 3rd wheel Angel in, to get him/her out the paired tank.

Most reactions

Back