Silver tip tetra playful aggression

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So for time now I have had 10 silver tip tetras along with many other tank mates
and they are , 15 wild caught cardinal tetras , 2-3 octocinclus catfish , 2 German blue rams , 8 corydoras duplicareus catfish , and 5 marbled hatchetfish.

The main thing that worries me is that my silver tip tetras are very aggressive when they are playing but so far they have not nipped the fins of my fish and they only chase them.

I keep them in a 145 litre freshwater aquarium so I don't think it's overstocked and it sure does not look overstocked either.

This is my tank
IMG_20200630_212359.jpg

I have even noticed that some of the female white tip tetras actually hide behind the plants and driftwood in the front left corner along with my female German ram who hides from her agressive male partner.

Why is this happening even though I have a large enough group for them in a tank that is big and spacious for them?

I also noticed that most of my silver tip tetras are males and not that many are females so maybe there is that.

With a group of ten, any feistiness should remain within the species group, and that is fine. Your hatchets would be prime targets if the Silvertips do become nippy. I would strongly suggest some floating plants, the hatchetfish will be much more relaxed generally.

With a group of ten, any feistiness should remain within the species group, and that is fine. Your hatchets would be prime targets if the Silvertips do become nippy. I would strongly suggest some floating plants, the hatchetfish will be much more relaxed generally.
Yeah I have had floating plants in there for a while but I have had problems when it comes to keeping them alive .

Now I don't have that many left but I might buy some more .

I used to have 6 hatchetfish until more recently when one of them jumped out of my aquarium during feeding and died.

Yeah I have had floating plants in there for a while but I have had problems when it comes to keeping them alive .

Now I don't have that many left but I might buy some more .

I used to have 6 hatchetfish until more recently when one of them jumped out of my aquarium during feeding and died.

The floating plants would calm them somewhat and prevent them from jumping even during feeding. The activity level of the Silvertyips is stressful on hatchetfish to begin with, aside from feeding frenzies. Artificial floating plants might be one option; I've never looked at them but getting something on the surface is important.

The floating plants would calm them somewhat and prevent them from jumping even during feeding. The activity level of the Silvertyips is stressful on hatchetfish to begin with, aside from feeding frenzies. Artificial floating plants might be one option; I've never looked at them but getting something on the surface is important.
Yeah I never actually thought of that but that sounds like a great idea .

I agree. The aggresion is fine in a group of 10. Its normal.

Most tetras come from South American jungle streams so they are more comfortable in shade and floating plants like hornwort, moneywort, anacharis, water sprite and frog bite can help shade them along with dimming the lights. I have had several floating plants like anacharis in my tetra tank like shown in this picture. I have since replaced it with salvinia. I have several shoals of different types of tetras in this tank.

Attachments

• GEDC1296.JPG
    GEDC1296.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 57

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back