Silver Dollars Or Tinfoils?

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
6,671
Reaction score
438
Points
83
Location
Wirral UK
Which do people prefer out of the two

As far as I know they are both active relatively cheap active species

I'm veering towards silver dollars but are these too skittish in a tank or do they shoal and stay active and bold when in a large set up?

I'm aware that the tinfoils are the biggest maxing out at 15 inches or so? at what size do silver dollars max out at

I'm concerned that if I got either of these they would provide too much competition for my plecs food, is that a genuine concern?
 
tinfoils are beautiful fish but they are major eaters<as in woooooh stop fricken eating please,,nothing else gets a look in :lol:
silver dollars<red hooks> are beautiful and a nice schooling fish,,,,i would like to have a school of these
 
I suspected that with the tinfoils. I have kept them but it was about 0 years or so ago and there growth rate is huuuge!!

I'm thinking of maybe 4 tinfoils as my tank looks like a ghost town in the day and I need some activity in there!! Also they are veggy eaters and hopefully won't steal the prawn off my L25
 
They are very hard fish to get food past and can be aggressive at feeding time. CFC had a tin foil rip the gill off of a lima shovelnose to get to the prawn it was eating. I have a school of 15 silver dollars in mt tank from about 4-7" and they look great. The only thing that annoys me about them is my proculodis shoals with them.
 
They are very hard fish to get food past and can be aggressive at feeding time. CFC had a tin foil rip the gill off of a lima shovelnose to get to the prawn it was eating. I have a school of 15 silver dollars in mt tank from about 4-7" and they look great. The only thing that annoys me about them is my proculodis shoals with them.

I'm going to leave the tinfoils anyway and I assume they are more voracious eaters than the silver dollars.

I bet your shoal of silver dollars look great, why does it bother you the Prochilodus shoals with em? I love my Prochilodus... so much character, I've only had him 6 weeks or so. what does yours feed on?
 
They are very hard fish to get food past and can be aggressive at feeding time. CFC had a tin foil rip the gill off of a lima shovelnose to get to the prawn it was eating. I have a school of 15 silver dollars in mt tank from about 4-7" and they look great. The only thing that annoys me about them is my proculodis shoals with them.

I bet 15 SD's in one tank looks superb, especially at that size!

Do you have any pictures you could post of them?

I'm looking for another 2 or 3 SD's at 6inches to go with mine - once I have found a new home for my Large Volcano Goby & my pair of Hopolo's.
 
My proculodis eat everything and anything and is a very good algea eater.

Picture634-1.jpg
 
Nice pic

Just got two silver dollars. Its all they had in the only LFS that had them. They have ordered me 6 more for Thursday

I can't wait till I get a decent shoal now, it'll be interesting to see if my Prochilodus thinks he is one. He has coloured up so much in his tail since I got him, lovely fish
 
My two SD's look great already in there but need some more to get a shoal going. They don't half go mad when food is in there
 
CAN JUST ABOUT SEE THE FLAGTAILS, TAIL IN THAT PIC LOL SHOALING WITH THE SD's
 

Most reactions

Back
Top