Silly Question About Seeding A New Filter...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sparklefuzz

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a mature juwel filter running on my 40g tank and I'm about to set up a 20g tank. I didn't set up the 40g from scratch, so although I am maintaining the tank successfully, I'm still a little useless about cycling!!

My question is, my current filter is a Juwel, and I'm having a Fluval 3 in my 20g. Do I just put some sponge out of my original filter into the fluval? and if so, how? being different sizes etc??? OR, should I run the filter in my 40g tank instead? Which would work best, and quickest??

ALSO... I'm setting up a divided tank for 3 bettas, with mini box filters.. how do these work in terms of bacteria, because don't you replace the media each time?? Do these need 'seeding' is that the correct term?? Any advice would be great :):) Thanks!

The easiest is to run the new filter in the old tank and also transfer a little gravel over when you move it back to the new tank. However, you could just as easily use some filter media from the established tank in the new filter and all you need to do is cut the media as necessary to make it fit. Then fill in any gaps with new sponge.

Do make shure that any seeded filters are only left running in tanks containing fish - otherwise you completely defeat the purpose as the bacteria will die off without ammonia from the fish to keep them going. (Rotting fishfood qualifies as an ammonia substitute as long as you remember to gravel vacuum and do a water change before you add fish).

edit: With the bettas, I'd do things exactly the same way - run the mini filters in an established tank and then mvoe them back once you get your bettas. I never change filter media if I can avoid it - just rinse them out in some old tank water while you do water changes.

Most reactions

Back