Silicone On Acrylic

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver, Canada
Im in the process of dividing my 2 acrylic tanks in half for 2 more bettas :D

I did some reasearch and apparently silicone doesnt stick to acrylic very well???

Has anyone used "aquarium safe" silicone before on acrylic tanks and did it adhere okay....?

Another concern I have is the silicone eating away at the acrylic and creating leaks...?
 
silicon does stick to acrylic but not very well you need plastic weld solvent glue or 2 part glue that melts both parts together as far as i know silicon wont damage the acrylic but dont quote me on that mate lol
 
Ok since Silicone doesnt really work well on acrylic...

what if I fastened 4-5 heavy duty suction cups all the way down my divider and stuck those to both sides of the tank?

Anyone think this is a really bad idea and a recipe for disaster?? I kind of do but wondering what others think....

I REALLY want 2 more bettas since im giving all my other fish away this weekend :(
 
adhesion between silicone & acrylic is not sufficient for tank construction, use solvent
 
am i getting this right?
You want to put a divider in your acrylic aquarium?
Silicone would do just to hold a divider, its not a structual part of the tank. If you leave a small gap at the bottom, both sides will fill up at the same time so the divider will never be under pressure.
There is no need at all to go down the plastic welding/glueing route just for a divider.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top