Signs of healthy plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KingK

Reaction score
Hi,
Last week I added 3 live plants and today I added 3 more plants , I noticed on my plants I added last week, white shoots are growing everywhere on the plants. Is that a good sign that they are growing well? And should I leave them as be?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3982.JPG
    IMG_3982.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3983.JPG
    IMG_3983.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3984.JPG
    IMG_3984.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3985.JPG
    IMG_3985.JPG
    990.9 KB · Views: 204
Yes, Thats normal for most stem plants.

Did you know you can actually cut most stem plants in half, Plant the cuttings and in no time new free plants.

I heard you can but didn't think that would actually work, where do you Cut the stem? After where the white shoots?

Thanks

Normally you would cut the top 3 or so inches off, Then plant the cuttings in the substrate, I must admit I am brutal on my stem plants when I prune them

Other than the Vals ( the grass looking plant ) I have no problem cutting the other plants in half, All the Blue stricta you see ( thats the big leaf plant ) came from a few cuttings
121z9fo.jpg

Cool tank,

I'll give it ago thanks for your advice

Incidentally, the 'white shoots' are essentially roots.

Yeah, are they good signs that roots are coming out all over the plants? And it's only been in the tank for a week? Will the roots find its way down to the substrate?

Yeah, are they good signs that roots are coming out all over the plants? And it's only been in the tank for a week? Will the roots find its way down to the substrate?

The roots that are close to the substrate may grow down into it, but those higher up will just grow out into the water. Aquatic stem plants generally develop roots and leaves from the nodes along the stem; the nodes are those "bumps" from which the leaves and root grow. Nutrients are taken up by both leaves and roots.

Ok then thanks, I'm glad my plants are doing and growing well being in the tank for a week

another sign of good plant growth is known as Pearling. As the plants grow they release oxygen. Once the water oxygen level reaches saturation oxygen bubbles start to form on the leaves. When the lights go out the bulbs disappear only to reappear after the light come back on. It frequently happens in tanks with CO2 but can also occur in tanks without CO2.

Is it true these plants grow quickly, I want to trim the stems and re plant them all over the tank

Last edited:
Yes... stem plants are some of the fastest growing aquatic plants. BUT... only if the proper nutrients and light are available.

I'd wait to see how fast they really grow in your set-up first. Take a picture, then in one week, take another and compare. Do it again the next week and the next. Those 3 weeks will really show you how quickly the plants are growing.

Cut them in half... or at least leave a good amount of leaves on both sections to that they can bounce back quickly.

I will do that, just waiting for the right time to do it,
The plant I planted a couple of days ago already has a few roots growing all over the plant. Surely that's a good sign lol?

I will do that, just waiting for the right time to do it,
The plant I planted a couple of days ago already has a few roots growing all over the plant. Surely that's a good sign lol?

Its not a bad sign, that's for sure. But, you need the greenery for the plant to be able to photosynthesize. So, its about how fast the leaves grow and how fast new leaves form.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back