Sick sever popoeye

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

helptoall

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, Ive rescued 3 goldfish 2 days ago,they were in a very neglected of about 70L. One of them is much bigger then the others and hes sems healthy,hes active and eating,the only thing he has is a small growth on his lip. The other 2 arent look so well,they both smaller and both of them when they try to eat spit the food after 3 sec ,im pretty sure they arent really eating at all. In addition one of them has severe pop eye in both of his eyes. They are in my quarantine with a good filter and good water quality. I have kanaplex and a natural med called Voogle by easy life. What do you reccomend on doing? should i start treatment with these meds? Do you have other reccomended meds?
thank you

Never use medications unless you know what the problem is.
Never use anti-biotics unless you have a known bacterial infection that has not responded to normal fish medications.

Post some pictures of the fish.

If you keep the fish in clean water they should recover within a week, probably less. Infected eyes will usually clear up within a few days if conditions are really good.

Keep the water clean, do lots of big water changes, and if you want to add something, add salt. But no medications until you post pics and the health issues are identified.

--------------------------
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

Identifying the problem means taking a sample for culture and checking what pathogens are present. since theres no fish vet in israel il almost never know what the problem really is. What do you mean by fish meds and antibiotics? fish meds in most cases are antibiotics,Kanaplex is a fish med by Sechem that contains the antibiotic Kanamycin. The condition im describing is not cloudy eyes, its pop eye which is related to kidney failure and dropsy. in the advance stages when kidney failure is present clean water alone is very unlikley to heal the fish

GetAttachmentThumbnail

They arent eating .. its been 6 days. theyr lethargic one of them is trying to eat but spit after. Theyr didnt got worse or better.. what do you think i should do?

Hello! I have quite a bit of experience with this disease as goldfish are prone to it due to larger eyes and more eye injuries. I breed goldies. This is the best popeye treatment and I got it from an aquatic vet some time back. It has worked every time for me. Place fish in quarantine tank. Add 1 teaspoon per gallon of Epsom salt to tank. Then use both Kanaplex and Furan-2 per package instructions for 7 days. If you change water then add Epsom salt according to how much you removed. For example, if you change 1/2 gallon then add 1/2 teaspoon back in. A fish can go blind if treatment is not started. Good luck! I hope all works out for you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back