sick platy any ideas?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

leepy

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a female platy that keeps swiming on her side, and now and again goes bonkers swimming around in circles, this has been happening for around a week and is getting worse, anybody any ideas?
thanks

Please post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, what size tank, how many fish and which type, is her tummy swollen what does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet, can she maintain her balance in the water.

ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate is less than 5mg/l and the ph is 7.5, the tank is 180 litres, not sure on type of platy shes just all orange. her stomach is big but shes pregnant (i think) not sure on the toilet situation, poop seems to coming out. not sure about the balance seems to be ok for about 4 seconds then decides to flicker onto its sides for a few seconds then back again.

Try her on some shelled peas first, if you have no scaless fish add some salt to the tank, good luck.

she has given birth today, is it possible that she was acting weird due to this as now she seems to have improved?

awww,maybe the babies were making her topsy turvy :lol: It sounds like a mild case of swim bladder,which also could have been caused by the young sitting on her bladder (wow,I remember that with my pregnancy!).If she seems fine,then great! If she still has trouble keeping her balance try offering her some pea as suggested or any other sort of frozen food. Swim bladder damage is usually from too much dry food.

Most reactions

Back