Sick Molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mchara

Reaction score
I have a female black Molly. She was in another tank before with a male Molly that was all the time harassing her, and she started to get stressed. Her lips were swollen.
IMG_20210622_085037.jpg

We have since moved her to another tank, and the first days she was hiding and very lethargic. But the swelling went down. But she has started to develop some white marks on her?

I have treated her for ich. But there has been no changes.

I don't think it's ich, can anyone please help and advise!

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_085132.jpg
    IMG_20210622_085132.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 36
0 ammonia
5/10 ppm Nitrate
0 Nitrite
7. 4.ph
Both tanks have the same except the ph is slightly more acidic in the previous

Do you know how hard your water is?Does your water provider's website list hardness? If it doesn't, can you take a sample of your tap water to a fish store and ask them to test GH.

The reason I ask is that mollies need hard water. If the previous tank had a pH lower than 7.4, it may well mean you have soft water. While soft water itself won't cause the sickness, it does weaken mollies so they get sick easier, and it's harder to cure.

The water is hard water. The reason the ph was at a lower level was because I have also tetras, which they prefer.

Do you think it has anything to do with pregnancy stress? She already gave birth two times, of that I know off. And the male was constantly on top of her, and I noticed that she was getting annoyed with this.

Do you believe it is some sort of parastise? Or fungus?

Can you post some pictures that are in focus?

It looks like excess mucous.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Then add some salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres). Keep salt in there for 2 weeks and see how she goes.

It's a little difficult to take photos, as she is moving around a lot. Which I guess is a good sign.

What would be the reason for excess mucous? Because of the tank swap?

Also my tank has live plants. I believe salt will cause problems to them? But I'm not sure

I have treated her with this, and it didn't show any improvement

Attachments

• 1624379948647.jpg
    1624379948647.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1624379968205.jpg
    1624379968205.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 29
She is alone in the tank, fish wise.
She seems fine, she still eats and her mood is normal.

Just my concern is her skin

Excess mucous is caused by stress or physical damage to the fish. Stress can be from poor water quality or chemicals in the water. Physical damage can be done by other fish.

Waterlife Protozin and Melafix won't do anything for excess mucous. The fish naturally produce mucous to help cover injuries.

The best treatment is good water, a clean tank and some salt.

The salt mentioned above (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) is fine for fish, plants, shrimp, snails and filter bacteria.

Tried to take better photos. Not that easy.
But I think you can see the white stuff it's like on the edge of her scales, so I guess that's her excreting the mucous

Attachments

• IMG_20210623_085732.jpg
    IMG_20210623_085732.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210623_085730.jpg
    IMG_20210623_085730.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 52

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back