Sick Common Pleco!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

*Fishkies*

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Okay so I've posted on here about my pleco before. First about just a white growth which was thought to be a Columnaris infection and was being treated with Melafix and Pimafix. It was thought that it was going away and everything seemed to be getting better. However after treating for three weeks with a water change in between there, he still did not seem to be improving at a great pace. So I am now starting to look for different solutions because he did seem to be getting worse.

He is a common pleco, and I have had him for 4 years. He is about 9inches long from mouth tip to end of tail.

Right Now he is in his own isolation tank with super areation and clean fresh water. I have started treating with Maracyn. He also has a heater in to control his temperature.

The problem now is that since this movement to the isolation tank and the treatment of Maracyn he has started to shed his "skin" is what it looks like. What would be causing this? Could this be his way of getting rid of the infection and getting it off him?

Here are the two previous posts on here from before. Don't know if any of these will help put I'll put them here anyways.

Emergency Post

White Growth Topic

UPDATE: He seems to be improving again with this maracyn. The spots are getting smaller and they are looking less fungusy.

The slime shedding thing is a reaction to something in the water that is irritating him causing his protective slime coat to over-produce slime, could be the Maracyn med but could also be something else the water. Did you cycle this isolation tank at all?
Infections on pleco's can take quite a while to clear up, just be patient with him and make sure you don't overdose him on any meds :nod: .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back