Sick betta: swim bladder?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Lkindle

Reaction score
Hello all!

this past December we got a beautiful little half moon koi betta we named Gary. He has been doing great. We had a scare with ich late December but after quarantining and giving medication he made a recovery. Otherwise heā€™s been a joyful little wiggle worm and we love him so much!

unfortunately yesterday, he became lethargic and overall not being his silly self. I kept an eye on him and saw that he barfed up something very small. I couldnā€™t identify it exactly, but it looked like very small plastic, about half the size of his eyeball. He was doing ok until he became so lethargic he began lying on the ground of his tank. He would go through cycles of being very tired, then swim around, then become exhausted again. About twice I was concerned he was dying and panicked. After my husband and I did some research, we came to the conclusion it is likely swim bladder. He is off-kilter, he sort of loses his balance and floats at times, and will have these odd moments where it appears like he is trying to vomit. He will purse his mouth out, and today I saw him lying on his side flaring his gills multiple times before falling asleep again. He will have these moments of normal behavior between these times of fatigue. He will swim, go to the top, blow bubbles, and then become tired again.

we have experienced ich and neon tetra disease and he doesnā€™t look like he has an infection. His coloration is normal. Our tank parameters are as follows:

- five gallon tank, heated and planted
- this morning we decided to reduce some of the water so he struggles less swimming around and going to the top. We keep the light on dimmed so the plants still release oxygen. He also has a betta log
- he has a snail and baby snails as tank mates. Theyā€™ve never had conflict.
- temperature yesterday was 79, today it is 80.7 Iā€™m assuming due to us removing some water.
- pH has always been around 6.6 a 6.8. I have been checking twice a day since this occurred.
- no ammonia, no nitrites, 0-5 ppm of nitrates. Again this hasnā€™t fluctuated
- water last changed yesterday and we always give conditioner
- in hindsight we likely have been over feeding. He gets a sprinkle of bug bites about once or twice a day and brine shrimp once a day or once every other day that is frozen.

we love this little guy so much and itā€™s hard to see him like this. Right now he is resting and breathing normally. Do you all have any advice going forward ? We think fasting him for 3 days and seeing how he looks, but wonder if there are any techniques such as adding aquarium salt or the frozen pea method he may benefit from. Iā€™m hesitant to change anything drastically to avoid inducing issues. We called the aquarium store and they said maybe add quick cure but it doesnā€™t seem bacterial or fungal to me, especially since his water parameters are fine.
Thank you all for your time.

Here is a link to videos of his behavior:

Attachments

• F40AA84D-CB79-48B9-A5C9-0FBC3A9F367D.jpeg
    F40AA84D-CB79-48B9-A5C9-0FBC3A9F367D.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 0ED69ACA-C5A1-4715-ACB8-2D5B18C5C288.jpeg
    0ED69ACA-C5A1-4715-ACB8-2D5B18C5C288.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 64
I would try fasting for three days, and if heā€™s still having issues try feeding frozen daphnia. Peas are also ok to use, but theyā€™re harder for bettas to digest so peas arenā€™t what Iā€™d recommend using. You can also add in Indian almond leaves, the tannins they leach have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties (although the tannins will make the water a brown color) just in case he has the beginnings of an infection.

I would try fasting for three days, and if heā€™s still having issues try feeding frozen daphnia. Peas are also ok to use, but theyā€™re harder for bettas to digest so peas arenā€™t what Iā€™d recommend using. You can also add in Indian almond leaves, the tannins they leach have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties (although the tannins will make the water a brown color) just in case he has the beginnings of an infection.
Called all the pet stores, two speciality fish stores and none have frozen daphnia. One may have it shipped next week. Is it okay to try the smallest bit of frozen pea? Are there alternatives that are closer to daphnia? Thank you so much. We added an almond leaf last night.
Today is 48 hours fasting. He has good moments in the morning and at night it now heā€™s back to lying on his side at the bottom of the tank. I am seeing him produce an occasional bubble from his mouth. We were thinking of doing a quarantine tank on him and giving him antibiotics as needed.

Called all the pet stores, two speciality fish stores and none have frozen daphnia. One may have it shipped next week. Is it okay to try the smallest bit of frozen pea? Are there alternatives that are closer to daphnia? Thank you so much. We added an almond leaf last night.
Today is 48 hours fasting. He has good moments in the morning and at night it now heā€™s back to lying on his side at the bottom of the tank. I am seeing him produce an occasional bubble from his mouth. We were thinking of doing a quarantine tank on him and giving him antibiotics as needed.
Yes, frozen peas are perfectly fine for Bettas.

Daphnia isnā€™t required, you can feed him his normal food when his 3 days is up. (What brand is his food?)

It wouldnā€™t be necessary to do a QT tank, because heā€™s the only fish in the tank.

ā€”ā€”-

It is a possibility that he has SB disease, a Louth Iā€™m not 100% sure yet. Does he appear to be a ā€œpineconeā€? (Scales sticking out)

(I would turn the heat down just a little bit to 76 - 78 F.)

Yes, frozen peas are perfectly fine for Bettas.

Daphnia isnā€™t required, you can feed him his normal food when his 3 days is up. (What brand is his food?)

It wouldnā€™t be necessary to do a QT tank, because heā€™s the only fish in the tank.

ā€”ā€”-

It is a possibility that he has SB disease, a Louth Iā€™m not 100% sure yet. Does he appear to be a ā€œpineconeā€? (Scales sticking out)

(I would turn the heat down just a little bit to 76 - 78 F.)
Was concerned about hurting the snail in case we wanted to do General Cure but youā€™re right, just looked into it and it wonā€™t affect the snail or plants.

No pine cone appearance. He honestly isnā€™t even that bloated and his coloration and fins are normal. He just is swimming very strangely, off balance, and wears himself out. There are moments where Iā€™m convinced heā€™s dead because he just goes with the water and falls, then he will just perk back up and swim away!

what about epsom salt baths? That seems a little alarming to me given the possibility of the fish passing out. Going through YouTube videos and previously posted forums.

his brand of food is Fluval bug bites and Omega One brine shrimp

would you fully wait the 72 hours before attempting peas or anything? Thank you all for your time I really appreciate it. I just hate seeing him like this.

Just turned the temperature down. Here is how he looks today
image.jpg

what about epsom salt baths?
These can be helpful to pull out an infection, but they are extremely stressful on the fish - you will have to make this descension...
would you fully wait the 72 hours before attempting peas or anything?
Yes, I would wait the 3 days. After that, try to feed him 1-3 small pea pieces.

YouTube can be a great place for information. :good:

These can be helpful to pull out an infection, but they are extremely stressful on the fish - you will have to make this descension...

Yes, I would wait the 3 days. After that, try to feed him 1-3 small pea pieces.

YouTube can be a great place for information. :good:
Yes there are websites and YouTube saying the baths can relax their muscles and make them defecate but itā€™s too extreme for me right now, especially being very inexperienced.

Is it normal for him to be so tired and just kind of limp at times? I am just worried about the toll itā€™s taking on him

Yes there are websites and YouTube saying the baths can relax their muscles and make them defecate but itā€™s too extreme for me right now, especially being very inexperienced.

Is it normal for him to be so tired and just kind of limp at times? I am just worried about the toll itā€™s taking on him
If he is bloated, it would make him lazy. (Just like if you were bloated, or ate to much in one setting)

If the filter is adjustable, I recommend you turn it down to the lowest. He doesn't have that much energy right now, so he could easily be sucked in/against it.

If he is bloated, it would make him lazy. (Just like if you were bloated, or ate to much in one setting)

If the filter is adjustable, I recommend you turn it down to the lowest. He doesn't have that much energy right now, so he could easily be sucked in/against it.
Ok will make sure if that and also we lowered his tank water so he doesnā€™t have to expend so much effort to swim to the top. Tomorrow will be 3 days. Will try a small amount of pea then. Thank you so much. It means so much to us that our concerns have been addressed with compassion and quickly.

Ok will make sure if that and also we lowered his tank water so he doesnā€™t have to expend so much effort to swim to the top. Tomorrow will be 3 days. Will try a small amount of pea then. Thank you so much. It means so much to us that our concerns have been addressed with compassion and quickly.
No problem. Your Betta is beautiful, and fish are family. Loosing him would be sad... :( keep us posted!

So sorry to hear about your fish pal.

How long have you had him? If everything else is going well - I wonder if he's beginning to show old age? I actually just told this story about how I had a betta that I thought was dying, but really it was his old age beginning to show. I thought he was sickly/dying - he lost body mass and just looked funny, but it was just him getting old.

Instead I put him into an environment that made him more comfortable and he perked up - not back to his youthful self, but way better than laying at the top or bottom motionless.

I hope that it's just a case of constipation for your guy and he'll be able to pass it. Overfeeding is my biggest fear. :unsure:

Gary has made an insane recovery in a short time.
Since my last post we put him in a cup with intention to transition him to a quarantine tank to better observe his bowel habits.
right there he perked up. We were shocked.
I then boiled a frozen pea and gave him an amount about half the size of his eyeball. Once acclimated to the pH and temperature of his quarantine tank we let him go, and he was swimming! He had one lying down/fainting spell.
the following day he was almost normal. Today he is swimming with very minimal difficulty, still some swim bladder struggles with position, and a GIANT bowel movement!
I gave him a small amount of frozen brine shrimp today. He gobbled it up like he always did and wiggled away.

I cannot thank each and every one of you enough for taking the time to respond and help me through this. I never knew Iā€™d become so attached to this guy! The pea and the transition to another smaller space did wonders.
Iā€™m now paranoid about this happening again. No more dried food. I also read people give their bettas a fasting day a week?

THANK YOU AGAIN!!! And bless yā€™all. Seriously.
245B50FC-22C3-4047-ACFC-4B9FC72EAEB9.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back