Sick acara?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am a little worried about these two. I feel like the EBA has hole in head cause he started hiding in the top corner of the tank. He also sometimes flashes. The regular blue acara has been hiding lately and didnā€™t come out to eat. Should I treat the tank for parasites like gill fluke? Or maybe treat for hole in head?

Attachments

• 748F49C6-1280-4851-AC25-2DC4D6571B66.jpeg
    748F49C6-1280-4851-AC25-2DC4D6571B66.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 95
  • ED5C1F9B-8680-4DB8-BC3C-AD3738E81417.jpeg
    ED5C1F9B-8680-4DB8-BC3C-AD3738E81417.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 94
  • 3C8874D4-48C4-4B95-B1A7-BC8D9E68177C.jpeg
    3C8874D4-48C4-4B95-B1A7-BC8D9E68177C.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 76E4F819-7CDE-47E7-B9EB-986EE44558BE.jpeg
    76E4F819-7CDE-47E7-B9EB-986EE44558BE.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 104
It's hard to tell.

Hole in the head is more of like a pit than like an indent. I hope this helps.

It seems somewhat deep but I am not entirely sure. I am not sure what else it could be. Maybe treating it with general cure to be safe?

I am a little worried about these two. I feel like the EBA has hole in head cause he started hiding in the top corner of the tank. He also sometimes flashes. The regular blue acara has been hiding lately and didnā€™t come out to eat. Should I treat the tank for parasites like gill fluke? Or maybe treat for hole in head?

My experience with fish disease is so very limited that I cannot offer much, and I will not guess when it comes to diagnosing and treating disease. But something to bring away from this question...never start treating for "x" unless you are fairly certain the issue is "x". Any medication/substance added to the water is likely to get inside the fish and cause stress at best , and maybe worse. When this is not the best treatment for a serious issue, it only makes things worse.

Flashing is most often the precursor of ich. If fish are not under stress, they can easily fight this off, and spots may never even show up. Because ich first attacks fish in the gills, the flashing is usually the first sign. But flashing can indicate various other problems too, so again, best not to jump in with both feet.

At the first sign of any "problem," the best actions is usually a large water change and tests of the tank water (before the change obviously), for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Any of these out of the norm can sometimes provide clues. The W/C alone will often solve problems, depending.

with the EBA it does look like Hexamita. There are many treatments out there but water quality is a big factor in this one, EBA aren't so renowned for strong genetics either. Medication wise, I'd be only guessing.

I keep a strict cleaning schedule of changing the water every weekend around 30-40%. This pst water change I actually had almost perfect readings

Ammonia -> .05ppm
Nitrate -> 0 ppm
Nitrite -> 0 ppm
PH -> 6.8

GH is 160 ppm (9 dph)
KH 0 ppm

I donā€™t over feed them I do it every other day. I am not sure what is wrong. I treated them from ich since they all had it several months ago so I donā€™t think it is that. I am stumped what to do...The EBA is still in the corner at the top of the tank (presumably canā€™t breathe well) and the other acara is still being very shy and timid. Does anyone know who on this forum is good with diseases?

The other fish in the tank besides the two mentioned:

- Synodintis catfish
- Gold severum
- Red sported severum
- Blue acara
- Electric blue acara

Are all fine and show no symptoms of anything...

Can you upload a video of them via YouTube?

@Colin_T is great with diseases, but he is not not much any more.

Does the ā€œhole in the headā€ look like a pit in the head?

I just looked at them again and I saw the blue acara from the first post and the other healthy EBA in the cave together but they got scared when I came. I also caught the other blue acara (healthy one) in this picture....Are they spawning?

Attachments

• AF8C7996-DFD8-4288-8E1F-8D17A1122E42.jpeg
    AF8C7996-DFD8-4288-8E1F-8D17A1122E42.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 97
Can you upload a video of them via YouTube?

@Colin_T is great with diseases, but he is not not much any more.

Does the ā€œhole in the headā€ look like a pit in the head?
Yes and it actually seems like there are two more forming. Luckily if it is I have a 10 gallon that Is set up and I can treat him if needed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back