Siamese algea eater or something else?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Javier572

Reaction score
Greetings!

The local store in my community sells these "Algae Eating Sharks" but never specify the species, so, are these SAEs?

(Already asked this before but i got a better picture this time)

20230910_093524.jpg

I won't go out on a limb, but I also will not disagree with ichthys.

Not knowing your level of knowledge...you realize this is a shoaling fish so it needs a decent-sized group, and it attains 6 inches so a long tank, and it "reputation" as an algae eater is questionable, depending. It is an active swimmer and needs the space, and it likes flowing water.

I won't go out on a limb, but I also will not disagree with ichthys.

Not knowing your level of knowledge...you realize this is a shoaling fish so it needs a decent-sized group, and it attains 6 inches so a long tank, and it "reputation" as an algae eater is questionable, depending. It is an active swimmer and needs the space, and it likes flowing water.
The thing is that i am just looking into species because i will buy an 80 gallon soon, but i really wanted the SAEs and this is basically the only fish store in my community, So i was wondering about that.

I really dont want to realize that they are actually not SAEs when i buy them.

The thing is that i am just looking into species because i will buy an 80 gallon soon, but i really wanted the SAEs and this is basically the only fish store in my community, So i was wondering about that.

I really dont want to realize that they are actually not SAEs when i buy them.

My advice is, never buy fish if you do not now have the necessary-sized aquarium running that will accommodate the fish at maturity. Many of us have plans that for whatever reason do not materialize, and the fish are the losers. This fish needs six or seven, in at minimum a 4-foot tank.

Hard to tell from your pic. Those fish appear stressed and they show no color. One of the key feature to look for in the SAE is that the stripe runs into the tail, it does not stop with the body. Have a read here and see the pic as it might help.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/

The were some of my SAE from years ago.
i-h6bbxc5.jpg

Note the color and the stripe in the tail. Also you can see the stripe edge is jagged, not smooth. Unfortunately tje pic is not good enough to show the barbels.

My advice is, never buy fish if you do not now have the necessary-sized aquarium running that will accommodate the fish at maturity. Many of us have plans that for whatever reason do not materialize, and the fish are the losers. This fish needs six or seven, in at minimum a 4-foot tank.
I will not buy them until I have it running, so I will not fall into that. I know my current tank doesnt hold them, so i want to materialize the 80 gallon. I will not buy them until i actually do it.

Thanks for the Help!

Hard to tell from your pic. Those fish appear stressed and they show no color. One of the key feature to look for in the SAE is that the stripe runs into the tail, it does not stop with the body. Have a read here and see the pic as it might help.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/

The were some of my SAE from years ago.
i-h6bbxc5.jpg

Note the color and the stripe in the tail. Also you can see the stripe edge is jagged, not smooth. Unfortunately tje pic is not good enough to show the barbels.
Appreciate the help.

I would need to buy them to see their colors, but I currently cant do it.

Eitherway thanks alot for everything!

Last edited:
It’s easy to tell a FF from an SAE. The main thing to look for is the black fins that FFs have and SAEs don’t. The gold stripe is bright and reflective on a FF but dull and non-reflective on an SAE. Also they’re a different shape. SAEs are rounded in cross-section. FFs are almost square.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back