Siamese Algae Eater And Hair Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jelena

Reaction score
Hello guys does anyone have any experience with Siamese algae eater for solving hair algae problem . I have planted 70 gallons tank with 3 brislenouses, 3 clown loaches, 5 giant danios (2 newborns in my tank), 6 kuhlii loaches and 1 clown pleco. Hair algae started to appear , I would not like to add more fishes into my tank, but I was hopping that SAE will help. I know that bristlenose plecos don't eat hair algae. Thank you for any information.

Hello, just wanted to relate to you. I also had an algae problem on a 3 month old 110 gallon planted tank. It is fairly well stocked, with co2 and dosed with fert. I tried reducing light, reduced fert, nothing really helped. Then I bought three siamese and within one week you cant find any algae. I also added a few snails and cleaner shrimp which clean up any green algae. My tank is now spotless back to 12 hrs of light and growing like crazy. I would highly recommend them. Mark

I have an SAE and though he does eat some algae, my tank is still covered with a furry green blanket
sleep.png
. I think to be effective you'd need a school of them.

Yes a school or at minimum a trio is the best way to go. Also look at nerite snails and maybe larger cherry shrimp. A trio of SAE's won't over stock your tank, until the clowns get large 5"+.

[sup]I had this problem and bought 3 SAE, each 1 inch long and thin, to solve it. Which they did. One died a few years ago but I still have 2 6 inch long, fat fish in my tank that 99% of the time lurk at the bottom or in one of the slate caves. 1% of the time they dash round like maniacs, not agressive, just barging about. I don't mind this but they do take up a lot of my bioload which I would rather use on other fish. They ate the hair agae and it hasn't come back, but don't eat any of the other types of algae I occationally get in my tank. [/sup]

[sup]Think carefully before you commit to one or more of these fish.[/sup]

[sup]Cathy[/sup]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back