Shrimps!

justjon

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
666
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have (or had? :/) 4 amano shrimps in my tank, and they have all seemed to dissapear, i've only seen 1 in the last 2 weeks, when about a month ago they were all there...

If they die, would they simply rot away very quickly as to not notice them? Just curious as I will probably add some Tetra to the tank if they are gone.. or maybe cherry shrimp.
 
Well going by the stocking in your sig, your clown loaches probably ate them. Also, clown loaches are very active fish that need to be in groups. They grow up to 12 inches, which is much too big for an 18.5g. I would suggest rehoming them while you still can.
 
My loaches will be fine till next year when i get a new tank, so that's not an issue at all :) Though, they seem to do nothing but hide.. so i dont know, i may end up taking them back. Either way, i wouldnt say they are active, they always seem to hide!

The thing is, is that one shrimp is still alive, and also when seeing them together there never appears to be any agressivness....
 
Perhaps the reason your loaches aren't active is because you only have two. Also, they wouldn't be aggressive towards the shrimp. They would just eat them. Maybe they weren't hungry when you saw them with the shrimp.
 
When your shrimp shed their skins, they hide, and that's when loaches are amazing at finding and eating them.

I would agree about the loaches though, when kept in groups, they are active and outgoing, yours are hiding because you only have two. You should either take them back, or get more and be prepared for your next tank to be big enough to eventually accommodate for multiple foot-long fish :).
 
Well guys, after a lot of thought, i've decided it would be more fair and best if I take them back, my poor shrimp i'm only guessing have been eaten :( which kinda sucks as I was quite attached to the little guys, and there is only one left (I had 4)...

So... it sucks that I have to take them back, i've never done this before with fish but i'm sure it'll leave me feeling a bit gutted and hoping they are ok..

Next question... Since I only have 1 shrimp, 2 mollys, a BN Pleque... what should I get?

It's an 80L (I thought it was 70 but apparently the Rekord 70's actually hold 80).. (Gallon equivlant in my sig).... any good reccomendations?

I was thinking perhaps a shoal of tetra... maybe 10 of them, then 2 gourami's or something (but need something that wont go for the shrimp!

help!
 
Tetra's are pretty, but IMO can get a little boring if your tanks mainly full of them...they tend to just evenly spread themselves around the aquarium and sit still, playfully chasing each other a little every now and then.

I would look for some interesting danios or rasboras or some rainbows (it's just that all these guys are more active), and maybe a pair of peacock gobies or Apistogramma as a kind of centerpeice fish.
Threadfin rainbows would be amazing, or even praecox rainbows - check out Liams.

Later you could get some nice little corys for the bottom too :).
 
I agree with three-fingers. :)
Tetras are pretty boring to me. Rainbows would be my pick.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top