Shrimps On The Barbie

Johnnyboy

New Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Lanark, Scotland
Hey,

Are Cherry Barbs and shrimps compatible tankmates? If so, is there a particular type of shrimp I should get and how many shrimps would be advisable (on the basis that certain species do better in certain numbers)

Cheers!
 
Hey there,

I'm a newbie myself with keeping Betta's, however I have had my male in a 2ft with 5 Amano Shrimp and they don't seem to bother each other at all!

Unless I have been lucky, I don't see why you can't get Amano shrimp :)

But maybe you should wait for some experts to come along... :good:
 
Agreed, Wrong section... Unless you mean are Cherry barbs and Cherry shrimp compatible tankmates with bettas... Then I'll have to say no never barbs, they are nasty notorious fin nippers. And yes most shrimp are good tankmates for shrimp although all bettas are different behavior wise.
 
I've had my betta with ghost shrimp, and cherry shrimp

he ate 2 of the ghost shrimp within the first few months, they would get a piece of his food and run off with it, so he would just eat them instead lol. then he figured out he could just bully the shrimp into dropping the food and then eat the food and let the shrimp go.

When i put a cherry shrimp in he chased it around for the first day, then he figured out it was to quick and nimble for him to catch, so he doesn't pay it any attention now.

and my betta is more on the aggressive side

so IMO ghost and cherry shrimp are fine, might want to start with a few ghost shrimp as they are extremely cheap


EDIT: its been 3 weeks and my betta hasn't chased my cherry shrimp that i have seen, until just now, out of the blue he tried to make him a snack lol
 
I've had my betta with ghost shrimp, and cherry shrimp

he ate 2 of the ghost shrimp within the first few months, they would get a piece of his food and run off with it, so he would just eat them instead lol. then he figured out he could just bully the shrimp into dropping the food and then eat the food and let the shrimp go.

When i put a cherry shrimp in he chased it around for the first day, then he figured out it was to quick and nimble for him to catch, so he doesn't pay it any attention now.

and my betta is more on the aggressive side

so IMO ghost and cherry shrimp are fine, might want to start with a few ghost shrimp as they are extremely cheap


EDIT: its been 3 weeks and my betta hasn't chased my cherry shrimp that i have seen, until just now, out of the blue he tried to make him a snack lol


I was more concerned with the Cherry Barbs nipping at the betta's fins.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top