Shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adeyc

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting some shrimp for one of my smaller tanks(33 gallons) and would like yer opinions on them and whats the best type?
so far I've been looking at these :Amano Algae Eating Shrimp Caridina japonica and Ghost Shrimp Palaeomonetes species also Wood Shrimp Atyopsis species.
Any others anyone can think of and whats the problems with them?
Ta.

Well there are some giant 'mountain' shrimp I have heard of. Haven't seen them just heard the name maybe a search on google will bring something up?

what do you want the shrimp for or to do that will help a bit in figuring out what you need. Rose

Also I have heard when you get them that after a while you will notice you have more shrimps than before :D Don't know if they are livebearers though would imagine eggs.

Rose. I'm wanting a bit of action in the tank as well as some good "hoovers" as shrimp are algeverous and detriverous (sp?)
I think this would be a good idea. I had a read of an invertebrate section somewhere ;) but as I'm banned I couldn't post. and they didn't have that much info.

William. Shrimp are egg carriers. The female carries the eggs in part of her tail and fans a something or other to keep the water flowing over the eggs. quite a lot of females newly purchased tend to be carrying eggs so you get a quick population increase. Not sure if they are prolific though.

Thought that from the number of times you buy whole prawns and find they are almost all eggs...

the Ghost Shrimp are good for what you want. I have them in all my planted tanks. Tried to keep them in the 55 with my Pictus cats and Bala Sharks but the cats kept eating them. Yes, they can be prolific. Rose

Cheers Rose. I may get a few of each, are they ok together or would they start fighting?

I'm off to check the fish club lists :p

Ok here goes...........lol

I have tried keeping the small algae eating shrimps before and the problems are as follows..........

They escape, they are the Hudini of the aquatict world.....more so than Red Clawed Crabs even and thats sayin something lol........the other thing is that a lot of fish look upon them as a tasty snack so be careful what u put them with......my Clown Loaches love em yum yum :(

The Shrimp i keep at present are called Armoured Shrimp they grow up to 3 inches approx and are filter feeders (facinating to watch) they also clean up detrituos......fish poop to me and you lol

They seem happy to stay in the tank too which is nice lol :D

Im afraid i have been unsucessful in my search for info on the net regarding this species but will let you all know if i do find anything on them in the future

I paid £9.99 each for mine and they are approx 2 inches in length but have 2 more coming this week which are near enough full grown

I house my shrimp in a 24x18x18 tank with....
tetras
black widows
ancisturus
a red blood fin tiger pleco
a chocolate zebra pleco
a stick pleco
a scobyancistrus
and various other pleco's
oh and freddie the fire eel lol

Always be VERY careful as to what you put these little critters with as all Loaches and Antenna Cats will eat them as will most of the Shark species as i have learned the hard way as explained above :(

Other that that they are very easy to keep and interesting to watch as they bulldoze their way around the bottom of the tank (they are very strong lifting bogwood etc out of their way lol) add to that the fact that they need no feeding as such as they filter feed of scattered remains from feeding the other fish in the tank and you should see that they are a worthwhile addition to any small fish community tank

I call them my Care Takers lol :laugh:

Thanks Pete.
I'm not sure what I'm going to keep them with at the moment. Definetly not Angels, they're quite partial to a shrimp meal as well.

I'll have a search and see what I can come up with as well. Do you know their scientific name? If I find anything I'll let you know.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back