Shrimp Waste

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nosphaer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two amano shrimp in my tank and two red cherries. In the areas where they hang out, which are primarily near plants and driftwood, there are hundreds of little, tiny black bits, all somewhat ovular in shape and uniform in size.

I am nearly certain that this is shrimp waste, and they are producing it in shockingly high amounts.

Aside from my weekly vacuuming, is there some manner of peaceful worm I should introduce that will take care of this? I know there are a few good species for peaceful community tanks that can supposedly process the substrate for an ultimate benefit... I'm having a hard time remembering their names.

are you sure they are not hanging out in dead spots in the tank, around the bottom of plants and wood sounds like the flow would be minimal, so the fish waste would tend to collect there.

The other inhabitants are 6 harlequin rasboras and a mess of hornwort, as of yesterday.

My assumption was that this was shrimp waste, since my shrimp had these bits of debris in their bag on the way home, back when I got them.

(EDIT - The fish waste looked a bit different, before I brought home the shrimp... I can't take a picture, but I can believe that this is from the fish, possibly. The majority of the fish waste seems to collect in a terracotta pot I have in there. The shrimp waste I've noticed is around the top of the driftwood I have, and in some places along the tank floor)

Black worms might help reduce the amount of shrimp waste, and with hundreds of shrimp in one of my tanks I agree they are little poo machines, right up there with Bristle noses and plecos IMO. Other wise try growing some rooted plants like swords and hopefully the shrimp waste will act as ready made fertlizer for the hungerier plants.

Black worms might help reduce the amount of shrimp waste, and with hundreds of shrimp in one of my tanks I agree they are little poo machines, right up there with Bristle noses and plecos IMO. Other wise try growing some rooted plants like swords and hopefully the shrimp waste will act as ready made fertlizer for the hungerier plants.

I actually have an entire ounce of live blackworms in my refrigerator... My fish won't eat them, since they're too big. Would they live decent lives in my substrate, you think?

(EDIT - The lot that the fish didn't care to eat are surviving somehow, and poking straight up out of the substrate. My snails' tentacles occasionally brush by the worms, who quickly dart into the deep unknown that is the sand.)

I actually have an entire ounce of live blackworms in my refrigerator... My fish won't eat them, since they're too big. Would they live decent lives in my substrate, you think?

(EDIT - The lot that the fish didn't care to eat are surviving somehow, and poking straight up out of the substrate. My snails' tentacles occasionally brush by the worms, who quickly dart into the deep unknown that is the sand.)

They should survive just fine with no fish that like digging in the substrate around to eat them. I figure the worms will help to make more of an ecosystem over more of a monculture which many tanks can become.

They should survive just fine with no fish that like digging in the substrate around to eat them. I figure the worms will help to make more of an ecosystem over more of a monculture which many tanks can become.

Yay! I'll drip acclimatize the little guys, then.

Most reactions

Back