Shrimp questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Spen2cer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m not new to the hobby, more to this genre of the hobby. My tank has been cycling for a few weeks now, and the waiting game is on. My LFS has a bunch of varieties of shrimp, so Iā€™m considering red cherries, red/blue rilis, oranges, and yellows. They are all in a similar price range ($3-$5 each) and was wondering what someone would recommend. Thanks!

They are all the same species, so don't mix them or their offspring will be brown.
Red cherries are selectively bred from natural brown cherries; the others are selectively bred from red cherries. In theory this means that the red cherries are less inbred and therefore not as delicate than the others. But that's theory which may not be the same in practice.

Unless you want to stay with the theoretically less sensitive red cherries, go with whichever variety you prefer.

They are all the same species, so don't mix them or their offspring will be brown.
Red cherries are selectively bred from natural brown cherries; the others are selectively bred from red cherries. In theory this means that the red cherries are less inbred and therefore not as delicate than the others. But that's theory which may not be the same in practice.

Unless you want to stay with the theoretically less sensitive red cherries, go with whichever variety you prefer.
I love the look of rilis, and cherries are ā€œthe almightyā€in the shrimp keeping world, but not my fav. Unless you would recommend anything else, I think Iā€™ll get rilis.

Most reactions

Back