Shrimp Query

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

faolteam

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 30 litre tank that i have for Blue velvet shrimp, of which i had 10, they have and are breeding fast, i have put some into my other 3 tanks , but this 30 litre tank was purposely for just the shrimp, am i in trouble now with the size of this tank now as the plan was just to have few in this tank , i dont really have room for another big tank

I love the blue velvet, they are one of my favorite color morphs. I keep several colors of neocaridina in a 55 g that also hosts Bristlenose fry when I have them. The shrimp breed like rabbits. I sell overflow to a LFS, same with my BN fry. That is one option. Otherwise, you can take that overflow and house the adults with "nano" fish varieties, the fish will eat the shrimp-lets but the adult shrimp are generally not bothered. That is another option, though harsh by some standards but free fish food by others. If wiggle room is found, a larger tank can be yet another option but eventually, you will land back at square one as it sounds your shrimp are quite happy and multiplying.

Just do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate each week and the tank can handle a few shrimp.

If you want to stop the shrimp from breeding, reduce the water temperature to around 20C and or reduce the feeding to once every 2 days.

Don't worry about having too shrimps in your tank.
They will slow down their breeding when there are too many internal breedings.
The internal breeding will weaken their genes and probably you won't see many in the future.

Add more fast growing plants like Anacharis Elodea and Hornworts to absorb/reduce the ammonia if you worry about the water quality.

Also as @Colin_T mentioned, if you reduce the feeding, they also won't be able to breed so many/frequently.
You can also give away or put those that are less beautiful/perfect in their colours in other tanks.

yeah they will balance out...

also kind of side-tracking here: i had one baby little micro-shrimp that hitchiked on my bamboo shrimp... a month later, it's grown in size and color and i think it's either an orange or blood-red neocaridinia shrimp! i only have one in a 75g in a bag, but it's growing fast and needs a forever home.. where can i put it so that it has the best chances? i have a 15g blackwater with a betta but blackwater might damage the shrimp

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back