Shrimp Or Crayfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nmdelrio

Reaction score
the lfs at the mall told me this is a freshwater lobster. Is it? Googling for ID, it appears to be a yabby (Cherax destructor).

It is a juvenile I think, 10cm long (4"). It just molted today.

It is quite capable to defending itself from other occupants (tiger barbs, rainbow shark, pleco, etc). It, in fact, tries to jump the fishes swimming by.

crayfish-or-shrimp.jpg

click for pic if it doesn't appear above

Hi it looks to me like a Cherax quadricarinatus - which if you live in the UK is the only legal species you can keep; lfs sell them as blue lobsters though they are fresh water crayfish. They are well able to look after themselves most of the time (probably quite happily eating some of your fish from time to time) when they are moulting they are extemely vulnerable. They really ought to be in a species only tank (and quite often on their own.) they can get to about 20cm+ and need plenty of space. I hope you have enough room, because they are interesting, enjoyable pets.

20cm? OMG, not good, not good. :S

I googled for cherax quadricarinatus, and you are right, it is a cherax quadricarinatus.

20cm, no wonder it grew up maybe 15%-20% after it shed its exo. It is my impression it is quite fierce the way I observe it.

they are quite aggressive, (but when they are shedding they are very vulnerable) really need a good sized 3 foot tank to themselves imo. but lovely creatures (don't get caught by their claws - it really hurts - I know) :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back