Shrimp Diet?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Sir Guppy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently acquired several new shrimp, which I believe to be Blue Velvet Shrimp. Any advice on what to feed them?
IMG_3178.jpeg
IMG_3177.jpeg

I feed mine algae wafers and occasionally fish flakes and brine shrimp.

How many are there? If the tank has a lot of plants and healthy ecosystem- muck, then you'll only have to give them one algae wafer once a week.

Thanks for the replies!
I feed mine algae wafers and occasionally fish flakes and brine shrimp.

How many are there? If the tank has a lot of plants and healthy ecosystem- muck, then you'll only have to give them one algae wafer once a week.
7 Shrimp in total. I have lots of hornwort planted, which may be enough to allow me to feed them only once and while. I recently reset the tank, so there isn’t much muck yet.

I do not recommend this...
while they have pictures of shrimp climbing all over them...
I put them in 2 tanks... one with Armano shrimp, & one with with dwarf crays, any neither would touch them...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 5.5 gal tank with a couple dozen cherry shrimp, amphipods and micro crabs, plus all sorts of other tiny critters/pests. No fish in this tank. I give mine a variety of foods.

I grow hair algae and moss in a jar in the window and add some to their tank once in a while.

They are given a 1/4 slice of a zucchini slice a few mms thick, cooked enough so the piece will sink, once every couple of weeks.

I offer them Hikari Crab Cuisine, Hikari Shrimp Pellets, Hikari Algae Wafers, Aquatic Arts Pollen Granules, GlasGarten Mineral Junkie, GlasGarten Bacter AE (very sparingly and infrequently, when babies are in the tank), GlasGarten Snow Flakes.

They have an abundance of oak leaves and catappa leaves, alder cones which provides biofilm and food for shrimplets, plus beneficial tannins.

Have fun watching your shrimp.

Shrimp are scavengers, they don't need special foods made just for them....a good quality algae wafer every so often works well, they are readily available and inexpensive.

In tanks with shrimp AND fish, whatever fish food is used will suffice for the shrimp, as well.

Agree with the above post, I feed my shrimp blanched or steamed veggies at least once a week...and IME, the cattapa leaves (Indian almond leaves) are a must in any tank with FW shrimp.

Shrimp are scavengers, they don't need special foods made just for them....a good quality algae wafer every so often works well, they are readily available and inexpensive.

In tanks with shrimp AND fish, whatever fish food is used will suffice for the shrimp, as well.

Agree with the above post, I feed my shrimp blanched or steamed veggies at least once a week...and IME, the cattapa leaves (Indian almond leaves) are a must in any tank with FW shrimp.
I never really bother feeding my shrimp anything. I figure that they're scavengers so they'll live on fish food, algae, whatever. They moult a lot so they must be growing.

I have a 5.5 gal tank with a couple dozen cherry shrimp, amphipods and micro crabs, plus all sorts of other tiny critters/pests. No fish in this tank. I give mine a variety of foods.

I grow hair algae and moss in a jar in the window and add some to their tank once in a while.

They are given a 1/4 slice of a zucchini slice a few mms thick, cooked enough so the piece will sink, once every couple of weeks.

I offer them Hikari Crab Cuisine, Hikari Shrimp Pellets, Hikari Algae Wafers, Aquatic Arts Pollen Granules, GlasGarten Mineral Junkie, GlasGarten Bacter AE (very sparingly and infrequently, when babies are in the tank), GlasGarten Snow Flakes.

They have an abundance of oak leaves and catappa leaves, alder cones which provides biofilm and food for shrimplets, plus beneficial tannins.

Have fun watching your shrimp.
How you finding the mirco crabs, do you see them much?🙂

Blanched Kale that I grow in my garden and unsalted green beans on occasion. But they mostly eat on the plants/plant matter in the tank.

I moved my shrimp form my main tank to my former quarantine tank, because they started dying for apparent reason. :confused:
Its been a month or two since that happened and now there appears to be hair algae growing on of my plants. Would Blue Velvet shrimp eat that?

Most reactions

Back