Should You "flare" Your Betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all :)
so as the title reads basically, i have seen posts on various pages saying that there are both mental and physical benefits to flaring your betta as it makes them happy that they scared away the intruder or something like that (sorry was tired when i was reading it)
so i just wanted to put it to the masses really.
is it good for your betta? is there a timeframe you could do it i.e. 5 mins a day etc.
thanks
:)

Mine just gets to that on his own... there is the evil corner of doom that he never likes and flares at.

Flaring a couple of times per day also benefits their bowels. You may see the betta dropping some waste when he flares. In a sense you help prevent constipation! :)
But also be aware that a constant source of flaring may be stressful for him, and a stressed Betta is more prone to get sick. 

If you flare your betta too much his gills could tear, but other than that and everything everybody else said it's ok. :)

im not talking constantly leaving a mirror beside his tank, just a couple of mins after work every other day say?

I tried putting a mirror next to my female but she didn't do a lot. If anything she was more scared than aggressive. Is there any way I can get my female to flare? 

nortonmad213 said:
im not talking constantly leaving a mirror beside his tank, just a couple of mins after work every other day say?
Yup, that sounds good. ;)

Breeders flare train their show fish. A few minutes once or twice a day to get that perfect 180 spread from them. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back