Should Pet Stores Ask About Your Tank/fish You Have Before Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
262
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
I have come across some pretty bad stuff done to fish, bu this short video... and the person doesn't know why the fish died..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scqRkRfIPyM
I don't need to explain, but I need to vent for a second, even though I am honestly no expert.

1. Putting one fish in a bowl is dangerous for the fish. But.. how about FIVE fish... in a CUP?!??
2. Obviously, no heater, uncycled; the fish would quickly suffocate on their own waste
3. Three of those are dyed fish. We all know dyeing is wrong. The person who purchased that may have been unaware to it, but still.
4. Another thing about that, while few stores advertise this fact, I am about 99% sure that Glassfish are brackish. If those poor fish weren't in enough pain from the dye injections, add on they are not in the proper water conditions! What did those poor fish do for such punishment? :(
5. Mixing Goldfish and Tropical fish is not a good idea, temperature requirements and all.

Lets go back to the question in my title. Could something like this unfortunate fish disaster have been prevented, if those who work in the fish department simply asked 'tank size, stocking'? If this person told them that they simply did not have a tank, or if the employees stopped the purchase of incompatible fish or at least WARNED the customer that is a recipe for disaster... well, maybe I'm just wasting breath. Your opinion?
 
my LFS does, its pets at home actually =]

they ask you:

what fishes u have
what size tank u have
what filters u have running
how long its been up for
any past illnesses in the tank =]
 
my LFS does, its pets at home actually =]

they ask you:

what fishes u have
what size tank u have
what filters u have running
how long its been up for
any past illnesses in the tank =]


I have never been asked. =\ When I was starting out, I was even told that a Red Tail Shark and a Rainbow Shark need each other's company, when in reality, one will kill the other in a tank together...
 
ouch, that aint good =/

my p&h was completely revamped with new staff a few weeks back; now its fantastic!
 
My local pets at home asks the same questions as bagu mentioned, I still dont use them because although they ask the questions, they dont pay attention to the answers!!!

I've seen many a time people buying fish for tanks way too small without the staff member intevening.

I once spoke up myself after hearing the pets at home staff asking the questions regarding tank size etc etc but still planning on selling a silver shark to a customer with a 40L tank.

Andy
 
My local pets at home asks the same questions as bagu mentioned, I still dont use them because although they ask the questions, they dont pay attention to the answers!!!

I've seen many a time people buying fish for tanks way too small without the staff member intevening.

I once spoke up myself after hearing the pets at home staff asking the questions regarding tank size etc etc but still planning on selling a silver shark to a customer with a 40L tank.

Andy

hmmm mine stopped me buyin clown loaches from the start and have always said you must get a larger tank etc to customers :)
 
Yes they should ask. And many do.

Trouble is, if the customer asks if such and such a fish is compatible/suitable for whatever reason. many often get the wrong advice from inexperienced staff who either do not own fish themselves and thus do not have relative experience, or simply haven't done some basic research on the fish they are selling .

It's a common problem . So often on here you get people with problems because the shop ( wether small or large ) gave bad or outdated advice.


On a related note-


I seriously think some sort of rule should be passed that requires some basic training for staff in LFS's and aquatics sections of pet stores , in keeping tropical fish.

Just the basics of how to set up a tank of most common sizes , the nitrogen cycle and filtering, and which commonly available and popular fish are both compatible with other species, and their eventual adult size , which of course is linked to what size tank they can go in.

I think that staff should also be encouraged to do some basic research on any new or uncommon species the store buys in. How big it gets, what size tank it needs, ease of care and how compatible it is. How can you advise someone on a "product" if you don't know anything about it?

It seems to me that a lot of people impulse buy fish because they think they look pretty, without thinking of the needs of the fish, and the care they may need. And many shops simply sell them without any questions as to the setup the fish will end up in.


While I think the store should certainly ask about the customer's setup, I think more people need to be reminded to research a fish they like or see in a shop, before buying it and then wondering if their tank is correct for the fish afterwards. That kind of thinking often ends in misery for the fish and keepers.
 
The ONLY reason P@H do this is for issues of return IMO.

As to the original question - I think the person selling the fish should get a pretty good idea of the knowledge of the customer i.e. if the customer asks for '3 of them' then the lfs is possibly right to ask questions. From a business point of view they can only ever offer advice, not refuse to sell the fish!
 
the one i go to had an argument with a guy as he said that a goldfish would be fine in a bowl and his daughter wanted them three goldfish and he wouldd get a small tank later in the end he just walked out as they refused to selll them to him

i found that extremely good
 
i believe that they should ask questions this is something that drives me mad.
saturday my mate from work won 2 goldfish and bought a goldfish bowl at a fair for his daughter sunday night both goldfish belly up and one sad little girl. tuesday his wife comes home with a biorbe and 3 fantails from the same shop and told to set up the biorbe add water and a few drops of this and that and wait one hour before adding the first fish then add the second fish next week and the third the week after.
its a shame as it will be tears again and a lot of money spent.
 
the one i go to had an argument with a guy as he said that a goldfish would be fine in a bowl and his daughter wanted them three goldfish and he wouldd get a small tank later in the end he just walked out as they refused to selll them to him

i found that extremely good

I ALMOST said something to a father and his young son who wanted to buy a male and female Betta pair. I think it is VERY likely that they were going to put them in the same small tank, or bowl, unknowing that the female could easily end up dead. The cashier should have asked them if there was going to be a divider or something. I have a feeling that there is gonna be one panicking father and one tearful kid. :(
 
This appears to be another of those whacked out YouTube videos that are designed to rile people up. Please don't encourage this by letting the search engines show them that it's being talked about here as well. That would only make them happy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back
Top