Should I Try To Adjust Ph?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

luckyd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just had my water tested. Ammomia is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, pH 8.5.

The LFS worker said the pH is high and recommended Seachem Neutral regulator, which adjusts pH to 7.0, plus dechlorinates and removes ammonia. I'm hesitant because I've read that sudden changes in pH can harm fish. But I've had a problem with danios getting sick and dying during the past couple of weeks, although I've also read that danios can handle high pH. The other fish in the tank are 2 platys, one dojo loach, one golden algae eater, and three corys that all seem fine.

What do you think? Is it a good idea to mess wih the pH? If so, what's the best way to do it?

Hmm I would say no don't bother but that does seem very high.

One of the best routes I can think of, is mix in RO water at a preset amount to bring the ph to where you want. So each time you change water, you fill your bucket with 50% RO and 50% tap water. Mix it, then add to the tank.

Things to remember:
the 50% stated should be played with to see what the best mix is
once you have a mix, stick to it
acclimatise to it very slowly, maybe doing 3 10% changes a week until the water is sitting at the right level

If you do choose to adjust it I would go with the Fluval Peat Moss Granules. It changes the PH gradually when you place it in your filter rather than going with chemicals and having a "soup" of crap you always have to mess with.

It's best not to alter your pH (really, we are talking about hardness.) There are some situations that will warrant changing your hardness to suit a particular type of fish, but if you got your fish locally chances are they are already acclimated to your hardness (and pH.) Altering your hardness (pH) will force them to adapt to a foreign hardness (pH) and will stress them out.

It's best to leave well enough alone :)

I have my ph around there because its best for my cichlids however, i do also keep a tiger loach who has had no problems and no signs of sickness or disease except an ich problem but all my cichlids had but alhamdulillah have cured it now. If you did want to though lower the ph could adding bogwood help slowly decrease the ph?

My tank is brackish and I keep it at 8.2ish... whenever my ph would go higher than 8.0 in my old freshwater tank I would have issues with fish getting sick. Our LFS recommended a product to lower the ph that we put in during water changes...the name of it eludes me atm. I know API makes products that help keep the ph at the recommended levels for the fish you keep. I use the Proper pH 8.2 for my brackish tank and it helps alot. I add it into the water that I'm preparing to add to my tank. ^^

My tank is brackish and I keep it at 8.2ish... whenever my ph would go higher than 8.0 in my old freshwater tank I would have issues with fish getting sick. Our LFS recommended a product to lower the ph that we put in during water changes...the name of it eludes me atm. I know API makes products that help keep the ph at the recommended levels for the fish you keep. I use the Proper pH 8.2 for my brackish tank and it helps alot. I add it into the water that I'm preparing to add to my tank. ^^

You could save yourself lots of money by having a substrate that will buffer your pH. They sell it specifically for African rift lake cichlid tanks and marine tanks, but it will work just as well in a brackish setting. You only have to buy it once :)

A more natural way to lower your pH is to add a CO[sub]2[/sub] system to your setup. This has lowered my tank's pH from 8.2 to 7.5 (kH 11.2 and gH 14) at a bubble rate of 30/min and has helps my plants flourish in the space of two weeks.
wink.gif

try adding bogwood to your tank,that lowers ph and add some peat to your filter

Thanks everyone. It looks like I be cautious, and lower the pH slowly using one the more natural methods you suggested. I guess I have something to return to the LFS! :)

Surely that depends how hard the water is? The harder it is, the less effect anything like bogwood will have, since hard water will be nicely buffered to it's ph with all the dissolved bits.

I wouldn't expect miracles with bogwood and peat. Yes they do have the ability to lower your hardness (and pH as a result) but if your tap water has a high mineral content, you probably won't see much of a difference.

If you must lower your pH, a 50/50 mix of RO and tap water is the best method.

Most reactions

trending

Back