Should I or shouldn't I?

Loboto-Me

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Went to one of my lfs today, and they had bettas in. There was one crowntail (which he was selling for 10.00) and he had had him for obout a month. The problem with this one is that he lost his top fin... dunno if it was fin rot or not. The guy said that the betta has already been treated for it. He's willing to sell me the betta for the price he sells his regular bettas for (3.99). The betta looks a bit listless and seems too be breathing heavily.... and where his dorsal fin is, is a "string" .... just one skinny little string. The rest of his fins seem fine. Would these grow back? Do you think there's any chance of saving him or does he sound too far gone? Do you think the fish guy might have put too much fin repair stuff in his water and ruined the poor little fellah's innards? I know that that stuff can be pretty harsh on fish with air breathing capabilities.

I dunno... i want him and then I'm afraid it may be a lost cause... whatcha think?

I'm thinking that his fins may not grow back if it's been a month and there is no sign of them coming back. My betta's fins usually show some sign of clear new growth within a week or two. Also, if it was gone all the way to the body, that's a bad sign, usually fins grow back best when there is still some left.

IME, I've never had a problem using products like Melafix with labyrinth fish, so I doubt that's his problem. He could be sick, or even just old. However, almost all the bettas I've bought have seemed pretty listless when I got them, and they perked up within a few days - they're all pyschos now!! :rolleyes:

Don't get him unless you can afford possibly losing him (and don't mind him missing a fin). I probably would, I think Crowntails are so amazing (especially if they are rare in your area)! He may have a rough road ahead of him though, so be prepared to give him extra care if you buy him. Good luck! :thumbs:

i'd get him. that string might possibly be remains of his dorsal fin, the last ray. they may not grow back, but it won't hurt him that much. out of every 10 spawns one will end up with mutation fish- with colors that don't relate at all to their parents, missing fins, extra fins, etc. you might just be buying a rarity.

or, he might suddenly become well and show you that dorsal bit by bit every day =) cup life is no life for any Betta, even a dorsal-less one

I have two males that didn't even have a string when I bought them, they'd experienced such bad cases of fin rot that it looked like their fins had been chopped off. It took like 6 months but they finally grew back with clean water and good food.

wuvmybetta said:
I have two males that didn't even have a string when I bought them, they'd experienced such bad cases of fin rot that it looked like their fins had been chopped off. It took like 6 months but they finally grew back with clean water and good food.
that's awesome wuv ;)

Ok then... I'll go tomorrow and see if he's still there (hope he is) Since the guy has had him for a month so far... i tend to think he's still in his cup. I'll give you news about it tomorrow.

get him if you want,
When I got my baby Elvis, he looked like he had mohawk!
But with plenty of room to swim and good water and food, his fins grew back in a few weeks and he is sooo pretty and thankful for the new home.
:D

Well I slept on the decision and checked my bank account. As cheap as I'd be getting this little fellah, I'd have to go out and buy another tank, meds for his fin problem and then wait and see.
My daughter's 11th b-day is today.... I got her a new bike
And so soon after Christmas, I have alot of catching up to do.... part of the problem is that I couldn't resist the betta I got 2 weeks ago :*)

I'll just continue to enjoy Tatsumi (gosh he's an active guy) and try to forget about the poor little guy in the little cup :byebye: :sad:

Most reactions

Back