Should I Get Newts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jessman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, everytime i visit my lfs i see fire belly newts and think they're adorable, and im thinking of getting one or two.
I've heard there are two types, and one is a smaller type, this is the type my lfs has.

Just a few questions on how to look after them and habitat etc.

- How big of a tank would i need for two newts? liters wise
- Could i use a sand substrate or is that too fine? 
- What temperature should they be kept at? I know they prefer cool water
- I've read that you don't necessarily need a filter as long as you do frequent water changes, is this true? If not what type of filter?
- What do they eat?
- Can they be handled?
- How big should the land part of the tank be?
- What is good for them to hide in/under?

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot but ANY help would be very much appreciated :)!! 

And also are they good pets to have?

There are Chinese fire belly newts and Japanese variants the smaller of the two are the chinese type 3-4" can live up to 15+ years with good care, they require access to the surface to breath being an amphibian, Set up should be more like that of terrapins rather than classic tropical aquarium and temp of about  18°C

when i had newts i had a 10 gallon tank, half filled with water and a small "turtle dock" as land. though they were in the water most of the time. there was a fake log thing for them to hide underwater. i had no filter or heater. room temp is fine, i think. none of them ever died. i fed mine freeze -dried bloodworms. hope this helps. i know response was pretty late

guppy2002 said:
when i had newts i had a 10 gallon tank, half filled with water and a small "turtle dock" as land. though they were in the water most of the time. there was a fake log thing for them to hide underwater. i had no filter or heater. room temp is fine, i think. none of them ever died. i fed mine freeze -dried bloodworms. hope this helps. i know response was pretty late
Sorry, but this is terrible advice. There's not way they'd live their full 20+ year lifespan in a set up like that. (believe me... 20 is not old for a fire bellied newt)

-5 gallons (approx. 18 liters)
- Yes! Sand is preferable. Gravel can be accidentally eaten and kill them.
- 60-75F (15-23C)
- Not true. They need a cycled tank just like any aquarium. Therefore, cycle the tank BEFORE adding your newt! Hang on back filters can be easily climbed into- which usually ends up being deadly for the newt. Internal filters usually cause too much of a current. Sponge filters are the best, they cannot be climbed into, create a gentle current, and provide excellent bio filtration! However, ALL newt tanks need a secure lid. These guys will climb right up the cord and out of the tank. So get a wire mesh lid- made for terrariums- and cut a tiiiiiiny hole for the air tubing and any other things coming out of the tank. Cram sponge in any gaps. These guys are good at escaping!
- Frozen and live food only, completely ignore commercial foods. Bloodworms, live blackworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, fruit flies, white worms, glass worms, and chopped earthworms (nightcrawlers). A varied diet is best!
- No. No amphibian should be handled unless you absolutely must. They absorb everything through their skin, and prolonged or frequent handling can kill them.
- This depends on the age of the newt. Young newts, just out of their larval stage, are hydrophobic and can actually be drowned! They will spend all of their time outside of the water and should be given only a small water area. But as they age, they become almost entirely aquatic and need a set up resembling a regular aquarium.
- Cork bark is perfect for a floating area, moss can be added to retain humidity. Inside the water you can use terra cotta pots (with the bottom hole plugged, of course), smooth commercial decor, large rocks, and the all important plants! plants are pretty much a must for these guys. They need a ton of cover- think a tiny jungle.

Plants like java fern, java moss, anacharis, some swords, glossostigma, duckweed, frogbit, water sprite, and many more plants are suitable for such cold water. Because they like it so cold, sometimes you have to intervene to keep it below 80. Right now I have my C. orientalis in the basement!

I highly reccomend giving this care sheet a read, and browsing through this whole site. It's the most comprehensive web site on newts and salamanders out there, and practically the only reliable source for their care.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

thanks, great advice, just what i needed! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back