Should I dose a new tank with algae gone treatment

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

my planted tank is about 3 weeks old and Iā€™ve noticed some bits of hair algae starting to grow on the rocks and some on the java moss. Should I put some algae gone treatment in to try to combat this. Iā€™m worried because itā€™s a new tank donā€™t know whether I should put it in or not?

Never use chemicals to remove algae. It can be fixed by fixing nutrient and light levels. How long are your lights on for?

Adjusting the lighting by reducing how long you have it on and reducing the amount of nutrients in the water by weekly water changes (50%) and reducing how much you feed your fish and plants is the way to go. More chemicals in the water is not good for your fish.

I agree with other members, never use any product that claims to kill algae in a tank with plants or fish. "Problem" algae can be resolved by establishing the light/nutrient balance so the plants benefit but algae is discouraged.

New tanks (until they are biologically established which is several months) are biologically unstable and algae can take advantage. Depending upon the factors (light, nutrients, fish load, plants) it may sort itself out, or you may need to tweak the lighting, fertilizing, etc.

Thanks guys. So my lights are on a timer and it comes on about half 5 in the afternoon and goes off around midnight. Is there anything else I can do apart from reduce light?

Hereā€™s a picture of the algae
8BF2E8BD-72F8-4375-B501-A93A2886A037.jpeg

If I'm reading this right, your lights are on for 7 hours?

Is there a way you can reduce the intensity? The duration should be ok.

What fish are in here and how often do you water change?

That rock can be scrubbed clean.

Thanks guys. So my lights are on a timer and it comes on about half 5 in the afternoon and goes off around midnight. Is there anything else I can do apart from reduce light?

We willneed more data and a photo in order to offer advice. A photo of the entire tank which allows us to see the plant species and numbers, and data on the light (type, wattage, spectrum). And are you using any plant additives/fertilizers?

Does the tank get any direct sunlight?

If I'm reading this right, your lights are on for 7 hours?

Is there a way you can reduce the intensity? The duration should be ok.

What fish are in here and how often do you water change?

That rock can be scrubbed clean.

Thanks for the reply. thereā€™s only a couple of neons in there at the moment. Iā€™ve been doing 2 water changes a week only about 20% each time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back