‘short body’ corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Is short body corydoras natural or its a manmade? I found one in LFS and i like it, should i buy it? Do they have a problem with their internal organ?

There are several man made short body or ballon fish, not sure if they are making a cory yet. I would not buy it for ethical reasons also I would be concerned for the health of the fish and just how long it would live verses in its natural form.

Last edited:
Haven’t heard of balloon corries yet, they probably are just females with eggs, they are more round

Try to get the scientific name; ask the store, they probably have an invoice from their supplier.

Some species of Corydoras have fairly short bodies compared to some others. Some species have rounded or blunt heads, others have longer pointed snouts. Remember they need a group of the species, whatever they are.

Try to get the scientific name; ask the store, they probably have an invoice from their supplier.

Some species of Corydoras have fairly short bodies compared to some others. Some species have rounded or blunt heads, others have longer pointed snouts. Remember they need a group of the species, whatever they are.
I have asked him he said there's only one of them that had natural short body really rare.

I have asked him he said there's only one of them that had natural short body really rare.

Can you post a photo of this fish, from the store or find one online?

Attachments

• FA3A8BFE-6643-4DB9-B216-128519B9CB6F.jpeg
    FA3A8BFE-6643-4DB9-B216-128519B9CB6F.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 176
  • ACEF7099-50C6-41CA-B049-AB9CBD2D56C2.jpeg
    ACEF7099-50C6-41CA-B049-AB9CBD2D56C2.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 233
That's a Sterbai. Looks perfectly normal to me. They are not rare, although for some reason they are more expensive than peppers in the UK.

That's a Sterbai. Looks perfectly normal to me. They are not rare, although for some reason they are more expensive than peppers in the UK.
Its weird that they sell this guy more expensive than other sterbai.

Corydoras sterbai also comes to my mind first, but C. haraldschultzi is near identical, though neither of these are "short" in the body like this fish would seem to be. But that may be due to the camera angle or some other factor.

There are dozens of undescribed but new discovered species (the "C" and "CW" numbers) and this could be one of them. It would take me some time to go through all the photos on Corydoras World or Planet Catfish.

In the final result this might indeed just be C. sterbai. One clue is to find out where the store got the fish. I already suggested there might be a name on their shipping invoice from whomever they got the fish, or perhaps they could tell you the supplier. C. sterbai is now being commercially raised (as opposed to wild caught) whereas a new species that might be similar is much more likely going to be wild caught.

Looks like a short stumpy body sterbai.
Do not buy them. They are either balloon Corydoras or deformed runts. They are not worth keeping and should not be purchased.

Is short body corydoras natural or its a manmade? I found one in LFS and i like it, should i buy it? Do they have a problem with their internal organ?
I’ve bred quite a few corys and I occasionally get one that’s kinda “short bodied” they do fine I’ve never had a problem

I'm part of the "buy the fish you like" club. I love short bodied fish and I have owned several and do own several (not a cory but still). I kinda think short bodied fish get the short end of the stick.

People have an issue with my Blood Parrot who hasn't given me any health trouble in the over 2 years I've had him - but it's okay to own

#1. Discus or Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, which die left and right on even advanced aquarists for no real reason.

#2. Long finned Betta fish - which chew off their OWN fins because they're so heavy.

#3. Black Skirt Tetras, where 90% of tanks I've seen with them they have all nipped up fins.

#4. Fish that grow MANY feet long and really don't belong in captivity at all.

The list goes on - I just feel like short bodied fish get an unfair amount of bashing amongst the aquarium bashing. But maybe that's just me.

Most reactions

Back