Shipping Shrimp, Snails, and Plants.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™m going to be shipping PheonixKingZ some shrimp, MTS, and small Ramshorn snails along with a couple of anacharis plants. Iā€™m using breather bags. From what I have read, I donā€™t need to add air to the bag. Is this correct? In fact, it says to remove all air. Also, can I put it all in one bag or do I need to separate any of it? I will probably be shipping 3-4 day delivery. I will be use a fish insulated shipping box.

I would put the plants and snails in one bag and the shrimp in another. The shrimp might get beat up if anything else is in the bag with them.

I would put the plants and snails in one bag and the shrimp in another. The shrimp might get beat up if anything else is in the bag with them.
I was worrying about the snails picking on them too. Ok, 2 bags. Thanks so much!

Breather bags weigh heaps and add a significant price to shipping costs. If you use breather bags, you fill them up completely with water and remove the air, then seal them up. The gas exchange occurs through the plastic sides of the bag where it is in contact with the water.

Don't send them MTS, they are a pain in the butt to get rid of once they are in the tank.
If you do send MTS, put them in a separate bag so they don't pop the bag and kill the shrimp during transit. Make sure you double or even triple bag them.

Plants, snails and shrimp don't need a lot of water when shipping. I would put the plants, shrimp and Ramshorn snails in a normal fish bag with 1/3 water and 2/3 air. Seal it up and then put it into a second bag that is sealed up. Put it in an esky with some scrunched up paper or a couple of bags filled with air, to stop the main bag from moving about.

Try to ship them overnight. Plants like Anacharis/ Elodia tend to fall apart if left in the dark for too long.

Like Colin I would put the plants and shrimps in the same bag. Simply because shrimps need something to stand on and if they were the only things in the bag you'd have to put something like a bit of filter wool in there too.

I work for a shipping company. They do not exercise any care whatsoever in the handling of your precious cargo. Writing handle with care and stuff like that on it is a waste of your time. Pack in a very thick secure box. Tape the dickens out of it and know in advance from a guy who sees this that your box will be thrown and mishandled in ways you would not believe. Angels and ministers of grace defend us !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back