Sherlock Holmes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrisbassist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Today, whilst browsing the shops, we decided to get the new Sherlock holmes DVD. Tonight, we watched it.

Overall, I thought it was a rather standard film with some nice touches.

Remove the setting, and change the names, it could have been any other modern thriller/action film. It had all the expected parts in the right place, and explained bits in the right places. That's why it was fairly standard.

The nice bits, are the characters. Sherlock and Watson are not portrayed in the usual way, with it showing the lunacy of Sherlock, and the skill in fights. Watson is portrayed as a man who has grown tired, and bored by Sherlock lunacy. Fighting to leave the partnership. The other thing, is together they don't look how I would have imagined. Sherlock is the shorter of the 2. And Watson I always pictured as being smaller and plumper.

There is plenty of action, stunts and intelligence to keep most amused for the length of the film but is by no means a MUST watch.

My rating... 3/5. Worth watching, but as far as films go, it stayed in familiar territory.

Eh, I was distracted by the constant mumbling and I don't love Guy Richie's directing style. Can't anyone speak clearly anymore? Maybe I'm old, but I kept having to have to rewind to catch dialogue and I hate doing that in a movie. I just like to sit back an enjoy. And it's not even that they were saying anything particularly difficult to grasp, they were just mumbling. Give me Basil Rathbone any day of the week. And I like Robert Downey Jr. Love Ironman.

Some interesting ideas, though. I will give it that. Perhaps the sequel will be better as I do like the cast.

llj

Thought it was a good film, but Im a huge RDJ fan, so I would like it, ordered it on box office, watched it 3 times in 24 hrs :lol:

Sherlock 2 is being filmed this year apparently.

I have to say I didn't struggle once listening to the voices. They seemed very clear to me.

Maybe it's the accent confusing you?

Nope. I sing in about 6 different languages. They mumble and I am old. Go rent a Sherlock with Basil Rathbone and you'll hear the difference in diction.

Also, to be honest, the actual plot has
more holes than Swiss cheese. RDJ though was very charming. Prefer
Ironman. Yep. I've read some of the actual Sherlock Holmes books. They're good.

Every film has tons of plot holes. Even ones based on true stories.

So saying that isn't a fair way to judge. Maybe because it sticks to a standard formula, and because you had to keep stopping, there was no suspension of disbelief. Which a film needs to capture sn audience.

And I wasn't so much arguing with you, as saying that petsonally, I heard every word clearly. Maybe that's because I'm so used to how different people speak. Having lived in Wiltshire, berkshire, London, Essex, Birmingham, With friends with Irish accents, family with Scottish accent, friends from Manchester, new Zealand, Taiwan, Cornwall etc.

Maybe that or because I've spent years training my ears, not just as a musician, but as a sound engineer.

Oh and just to point out the obvious, an accent is very very different from a language. England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland all speak the same language but speak very differently.

Fair enough. Another point though, might be that the older films featured a British actor who actually had the accent, instead of an American putting it on.

Don't forget, you never have the benefit of experience without having age.

I loved the film, i watch a film for entertainment though not facts. If the plot has holes in i didnt notice/care.

thought RDJ and jude law were both awesome in it and really made the film, can't imagine anyone else playing the parts as well. Saw it when it came out and loved it since, looking forward to the next one :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back