Share Your Point Of View On Australian Arowana

Lol,

Interesting as I didn't know that there were different kinds ... I've always thought the Aros a bit ugly but that Saratoga in the pic is a nice looking fish.

Common names have always been a pain in the bum, don't even get me started on plants names.

The biggest problem with common names is that they are often used by unscrupulous people to sell the wrong thing.

just because this is a UK dominated forum does not mean the UK common name should be used. After all, internet forums are used by people all over the world. 3.5billion people here, only 360million living in the UK & USA combined.

This is however a British-owned forum, so what we say goes :p
yeah but we're bigger than you. we can beat you up if we want to. :p :lol:

please share your exprience of what you know about australian arowana.
have you owned one?
have pics of your australian arowana?
whats the difference between the two australian arowana?
There are two types of australian arowana :spotted arowana and pearl arowana.yes i have one pearl arowana
spotted arowana has darker scale and fin color than the other.also slightly costlier
could you tell me the price of 6 inch australian pearl arowan?

just because this is a UK dominated forum does not mean the UK common name should be used. After all, internet forums are used by people all over the world. 3.5billion people here, only 360million living in the UK & USA combined.

This is however a British-owned forum, so what we say goes :p
yeah but we're bigger than you. we can beat you up if we want to. :p :lol:

Yikes, giants!!!
Grab your torch and pitch forks!

Hear, hear!

Common names are worthless and there's no such thing as an "official" common name for a fish.

If you skip over to Fishbase, you'll find a long list of common names for Scleropages jardinii including no fewer than five that are used in Australia.

The golden rule has to be to use scientific names wherever and whenever you want to avoid confusion.

Cheers, Neale

I can't believe all this over common names.

i'm with CFC and Nmonks all the way, these guys is the most knowledgeable persons ive probably seen on here,

and i have to agree just cause australians wanne call them saratoga's dosnt mean thats what they are, theres too much variation with fish now.
ive been browsing fish forums and websites for years now and this is honestly the first ive heard the name saratoga!
i just hear jardini's or australian arowanas.
yes there fins are different and they arent from south america but there are 2 knifefish Notopterus Notopterus from asia, and Xenomystus Nigri, one is lacking a dorsal fin and the other isnt, besides this they are more or less identical. but point being they are both knifefish! despite distribution being on two different continents. yes they are a different genus but we dont give them a regional african or south asian name because things like that cause confusion.

just clearing up the difference between the two australian Scleropages

Scleropages jardini: known for being smaller than Scleropages leichardti and more common to the trade due to its large colour variety and are more common in the wild
Scleropages leichardti: the larger of the two Scleropages in australia, extremely rare due to over fishing in the wild and is often a silver/gold colour were as the jardini is a reddish brown with red freckles in the center of the scales

and also, they're not known as arowana in australia and should and would never be refered to as being so. they are known as saratoga in australia and arowana internationally. call it what you want its still the same fish but it dosnt make it correct on all terms.

KOTP

Most reactions

Back