sexing

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

billy61788

Fishaholic
Reaction score
how is the easiest way to tell that a betta is female? do they all have short fins? and i thought someone said something about stripes. i want to find a female and i know they arent usually sold so im just going to keep my eye opened

They get horizontal stripes when they're ready to mate. Shorter fins and smaller size. They're also less colorful than the males.

look for a prominant white "ovipositer" dot on their chest between the pectoral fins. that is where the eggs come out. easiest way to tell. ;) they tend to have smaller finnage than males and while colourful, less so than males.

They do NOT get horizontal stripes when they're ready to mate, they get VERTICLE stripes. Horizontal stripes means they are scared.

Linda

alright thanks...how common is it to find a female in a store? i know most places only have males but do they ever have females? or do you have to go somewhere special?

Tell one of ur LFS to special order for you most of them will. Or tell the worker from ur LFS if he knows anywhere to look for females. Also like BKK group(BETTA EXPERT) said they have a white little smudge in there anal :huh: .HIH

billy61788 said:
alright thanks...how common is it to find a female in a store? i know most places only have males but do they ever have females? or do you have to go somewhere special?
i have always found female bettas in all the LFS i've looked in. they usually keep them in community tanks though (sometimes with other fish), so look closely. you can always request they get some in. ;)

how much do they usually go for? are they close in price to the males? id guss that there more expensive since there not as common

billy61788 said:
how much do they usually go for? are they close in price to the males? id guss that there more expensive since there not as common
actually females are the same price if not cheaper. demand for females (unless you are a breeder) is not great. ;) in my experience, if you buy a quality male from a breeder for $15 for instance, they usually throw a female in for $5. males are always more in demand because of their finnage though.

Most reactions

Back