Sexing Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WhiskeyHands

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I went to the pet store to stock my 10 gallon and for now, i bought a what I think to be a Sunset Gourami? I think he's a male because i've read that male are brighter in colour but a confirmation of its sex and the species of Gourami he is is truly appreciated.

1004952_10201201886920035_1916935773_n (1).jpg

Welcome :)

Looks like a Dwarf Gourami to me, the colour variant could be called Sunset. Colour variant names tend to depend on what the shop they came from called them,

Judging from the dorsal fin I'd say it's male. Males have longer tips to their dorsal fins, a females would be more rounded. 

Yep, I'm pretty much 100% sure that's a male. :)  I used to have one just like 'em.  :)

Alright thank you guys, I just needed some confirmation. With the species really! :)

Guys for what I know, Gouramis are supposed to stay on top of the tank as they need to breathe. Mine is staying at the bottom near a plant for quite some time. Is it something to worry about or is it just because he is in a new tank and is shy? I've read they tend to be timid

WhiskeyHands said:
Guys for what I know, Gouramis are supposed to stay on top of the tank as they need to breathe. Mine is staying at the bottom near a plant for quite some time. Is it something to worry about or is it just because he is in a new tank and is shy? I've read they tend to be timid
they usually but not always spend most of their time at the top and love floating plants, but it's usually normal for all fish to wander around the tank like that. being new may have some part in it to. I haven't had any timid dwarf gouramis, but that might be because I probably have enough plants for them to hide behind.

Nothing to worry about, as long as he goes and breathes air from time to time. But it also is an indication that your tank is not optimal for a it. Those guys like heavily planted tanks including floating plants. From the pic your tank looks very open especially at the surface. They don't like too much current either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back