Severum & Convict...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

digital_run

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi there....Im new and unexperienced when it comes to Hybrids but i have a question...I have a recently been keeping a female convict with my pair of Severums due to increased aggression from my male convict...Now ive noticed that the female con and my gold sev seem to be protecting a corner of my 75gal and i was wondering if cons and sevs can breed?

If so what are they called...and has anyone had experience with this.

thanks for any help. DR

hey DR :)
yes,breeding convicts and severums is actually the most common cichlid hybridization. the end product will turn out to be a Blood Parrot(although some people might disagree).you're one of the lucky ones because you wont have dyed ones :)
maybe look into the pinned topics and they will help ya ;)
HTH
DD

blood parrots are not a cross of a severum and convict. they are most widely believed to be a cross of a midas/red devil and severum. now, a jellybean[/b] parrot is a cross of a blood parrot and pink convict.

I suppose it's possible that a severum and convict could mate...hell a convict will mate with anything. I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted a pic of a convict x serpae tetra. :lol: Cons just aren't choosy. However, sevs and cons aren't very closely related at all and I don't think a con would inspire a severum to mate. What would most likely have to happen is the severum would need to be female and just lay eggs as many female fish will do with or without the presence of a male. Then the male con would come along, see the eggs and fertilise them. I'd be very surprised if there was actual breeding/pairing behavior between them. :)

i have seen on another forum ithink it was perdotry fiish a convict x sev it there was one that was a 8" con looking sev this was a breeding pair that have spawned many of these x's

Thanks for all the replys....Ive been keeping a close eye on them and they are still guarding a specific spot...I only thought of asking because ive seen my female con go through the breeding process tons of times and the only difference in behavior is the fact that the male con isnt present.

Again thanks for the help and if anything intersting happens ill be sure to post it!

DR

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back