Setting Up New Tank Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

harris_hpe

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have got basically everything I need now to start setting up my tank ready for a fishless cycle. I am running a 112L tank with a fluval 205 external filter. Which media would you recommend to put in for my fishless cycle. I have the sponges already in there and I bought Biomax and Carbon to put in the baskets. Can anyone suggest which order to put which media in the baskets and should I have the carbon in there for my cycle or would I be better off adding that once my cycle is complete?

Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find a sheet of polystyrene to use as a support between my tank and cabinet???

Thanks

Harris

it's not polystyrine but at pets at home they have sheets of foam, it's grey and less unsightly than white polystyrine, i use it, it's just as good.

it's not polystyrine but at pets at home they have sheets of foam, it's grey and less unsightly than white polystyrine, i use it, it's just as good.

Yeah I saw that, only problem is my tank has a rim round the bottom that spaces the tank up and the recess in the middle is where the polystyrene will go so i dont think i will be able to use the foam

Also I am using play sand as substrate and I wanted to know if this was safe to put straight in or should I wash it first?

you DO NOT need polystyrene on tanks with a floating base ( a plastic surround which lifts the tank away from the surface) just make sure its level ;)

^^Kind of expanding on what Truck says, foam/polystyrene will end up cracking the base, as the frame is designed to take the weight of the tank on it's own. The cushioning will lead to un-even weight distribution and the base cracking :crazy:

For Filter media, keep the carbon to one side. It is useless if not maintained properly, and required twice weekly replacement to remain effective (it's actually "used up" within a few hours). At about £5 a time, that's expensive, and considering it is not essential, in many cases removing good stuff rather than bad, I would not consider it for "every day" fish keeping use :no: The space would better be used by more Bio-max :good: Keep the carbon though, it's useful for removing medications or if you suspect poisoning later :nod:

HTH
Rabbut

nice one guys, I was tearing my hair out wondering where to get the polystyrene from and wondering how I was going to do it. Just worries me abit putting all that weight of the water, and then sand and then rocks, all on a thin bit of glass :crazy: but I trust you guys and ill go for it.

Right, so the media thing. So just the sponges and the biomax is all I need? Or is there something else that somebody can recommend??? And the sand washing thing, whats the best way? Just put some in a bucket, add some water and just aggitate the water?

I managed to pick up some ammonia from homebase today so im all ready to setup and get fishless cycling!!! WOOOOO :good:

Thanks for your help guys

Harris

Well the setting up of my tank is going well. I put a plastic base down first (thanks work :shifty: ) to support my rocks and to prevent damage to the glass if the fish knock any rocks down :unsure: I created some nice caves with my ocean rock for the fish to explore and I also incuded a plactic pipe that is hidden by the rocks but leads to a cave right in the corner of the tank. Lol. Im ready to set the filter up now and then ill be ready to start my fishless cycle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Harris

yeah just sponges and bio-max will be fine in your filter, really all you need is some mechanical filtration (which the sponges will do) and biological filtration (which both types of media will do). if you want some more in-depth stuff on filter media then there's a pinned topic in the beginners resource centre.

to wash the sand put about half a bucket full of sand into a bucket, run a hose pipe into it, stir it around and loads of scum will rise to the surface, pour off the scum from the top, keep adding more water and pouring off the muck until the water runs clear and the sand has all settled. You will loose a lot of sand when you do this - don't worry about it your just getting rid of muck mostly!! then set this bit of sand aside and do the same again with some more.....

whole process takes a long time if you've a big tank but it's something you really wanna get right first time as changing substrate or doing more cleaning later will be a total nightmare.

if you've got your ammonia then you should be all set for the fishless cycle, do you have any specific questions you need answers to?

Nothing specific to answer just wondered if anyone could suggest anything to make things easier.

Well, im all set-up, ammonia is in so I guess im oficially cycling!!! :hyper: Just sit and wait now I guess!

I did find it quite hard to distinguish the colour shades with the test kit when I tested the water after adding the ammonia. Anybody got any tips of the easiest way to read them? Its a nutrafin mini master test kit.

Cheers guys

Harris

Was going to ask the members if anyone thought he should test his "ocean rock" caves with vinegar? Can't remember the range of types of rock that get labeled as this by stores.

~~waterdrop~~

Would likely be a good idea. Most "Ocean Rock" is lime based and will boost the pH and KH skywards. It's sold for marines and Malawi Cichlid tanks more than normal FW community tanks. It will be great in soft water areas while you cycle, preventing pH crashes and cycle stalls, but it can be a head-ache for stocking the tank around :nod:

Well I am planning on keeping juvenile Pseudotropheus demasoni lake malawi fish until I move (within the next 6months or so) when I should have the space for a bigger tank to keep them and other species or malawi. Thus why I have the ocean rock in there.

Its now been 24hours since I put the ammonia in and I tested it tonight with the following results:

Ammonia-5ppm
PH-9 (I think it is 9 however the reading looked more blue than green but I dont have a reading forblue and I dont have a high PH test kit)

Now I have checked my water straight from the tap and the PH was 7.5. Is it normal at the moment for the PH to go up because im cycling or do you think it is due to the rock I have in there?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back