Seriously?! What’s the point of these lights?

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello guys, me again.

Today I want your thoughts about these lights that are sells in most fish store, It’s the blue and rainbow light, seriously! What’s the point of this? It makes my tank water looks blue and rainbow-ish, thoughts guys?

Blue lights can be used on marine tanks to encourage coral growth, and in freshwater as a night light so you can see the fish after dark.

Ultra violet (u/v) lights can be used on coral tanks but should not be used due to the risk of them causing skin cancer.

Oh...Thanks everyone, I was thinking they kinda look herrendous my tank.

Oh...Thanks everyone, I was thinking they kinda look herrendous my tank.

Weelll, there's a few things I learned about lights recently, I pondered that same question when I spent more than I wanted on my coralife seascape light.

Technically, each of those colors are part of the normal spectrum, and may help fish guage the seasons - because blue light penetrates farther into the water as the days get longer. Blue light also gives off the most usable energy in the visible spectrum. While the rainbow fancy effects are for humans, light colors penetrate water at different depths naturally, and your fish/plants in the wild would be use to that I assume.

Think this article explained it best that I found this morning, but it's not the one I had found a few weeks about regarding seasons when I was digging around Google Scholar (can't find it, will keep looking after I run my errands later. I didn't save it because.. well, most of it was highly confusing to me. -.-')

Last edited:
The article deals with certain types of salt water tanks, but planted, freshwater tanks also need red and green for the plants to grow well. Byron has stated this many times.

The article deals with certain types of salt water tanks, but planted, freshwater tanks also need red and green for the plants to grow well. Byron has stated this many times.

2nd paragraph 2nd sentence, they argue why blue may be the most beneficial for BOTH planted freshwater and saltwater.

Specifically states planted freshwater before saltwater though, so it is not just talking about saltwater.

While blue light is more beneficial for saltwater tanks (just because of its ability to penetrate further depths, the global productivity of oceanic plants, and nature's adaptability) it benefits aquatic plant life the world over because of that same ability, just that freshwater plants don't generally rely on it as much as saltwater.

Does not mean they don't benefit from it though. It's incredible how much of nature relies on the moon light above and below water. Plants especially.

Think that's why my light has a blue led set, and a rbg led set. Freshwater doesn't need as much blue but needs the red and green as well like you and Byron explain.

Last edited:
Dang.. I ran out of free preview pages before I found what I was looking for...

I'm pretty sure I had found the info. I'm referring to in ch.3, but it may have been in ch.9 of the same book judging by the abstract. May have been both, it was a few weeks ago when I was out of town for family stuff I was reading about it on my gma's PC (at the time I was trying to justify, to myself, the amount of money I had spent on my light).

Link to abstract:

Link to google book preview (they'll let you view X many pages without a subscription):

Particularly, (and from going through my free preview pages again) it refers to the cryptochrome receptors of various freshwater, saltwater, and brackish water algae to study the evolution of full-spectrum light reception in aquatic plants, since terrestrial sun plants primarily rely on the white UV spectrum (more on this in ch. 3, but I'm pretty sure the info. I was thinking of earlier is also in this ch. somewhere).

Last edited:
Dang.. I ran out of free preview pages before I found what I was looking for..
So if you are wanting to read scientific articles for free you can do one of two things. Email the Author they will be happy to give you a copy, Authors just want their work read and don't get any money from a publication.
Or go to Sci-hub and past the URL or the DOI into the box and it will give it to you for free.

Edit:
You can also go to researchgate, you can find the articles posted there or quickly contact the author to get their paper.

So if you are wanting to read scientific articles for free you can do one of two things. Email the Author they will be happy to give you a copy, Authors just want their work read and don't get any money from a publication.
Or go to Sci-hub and past the URL or the DOI into the box and it will give it to you for free.

Edit:
You can also go to researchgate, you can find the articles posted there or quickly contact the author to get their paper.

Oh that's good to know, will definitely check researchgate out (normally just use my school's online database but, that's all on hold right now, long story.) Would be cool to reach out to the author, but a lot of the info. in that particular book is pretty old, it was the most relevant I had found. I'll keep this in mind moving forward though, appreciate the tip! Had never thought of that.

Plants are very efficient in using red and blue light. So some manufacture have made lamps that only have red and blue wavelengths. The idea is that we can make a very efficient red and blue light lamp which reduces energy cost while you get normal growth. However green house testing with glass that only allow red and blue light to pass. have found that some plants don't grows well as when they only get red and blue light. And other tests have show that yellow violets and orange, and green light can also be used by plants . And sometimes these other colors can dirrect growth in some areas of the plant while other areas will reduce growth in other places.

So for for best results growth you want a broad spectrum light source.

Plants do best with plenty of PAR lighting. It's not just simply "red and blue" but specific frequencies within these wavelengths.

Plants also require UVA and UVB radiation to some extent for proper growth. UVB mostly for aquatic (it penetrates far deeper than UVA). Even humans benefits frm healthy doses of UVB. Kills off harmful pathogens in the body. This is a different topic for a different thread however...

There are certain limits. UVA can be extremely harmful, and is filtered out by our planets magnetic field. A very small amount does make it through.

The blue light emitted from most commercial lights (unless purchased for strictly marine) are typically just there to mimic moon lighting. They are not of the proper wavelength for plant propagation. At least good plant propagation.

Also, the blue side is more for vegetative stages, and red for bloom stages.

When you get into LED lighting, it can actually be harmful to any life, as the light being emitted is very specific to the "tuned" frequency of the diode. Lifeless light as some call it. They can make arrays that are "full spectrum", and you pay heavily for these fixtures. Florescent lighting is able to reproduce a better light, but is also weaker by comparison. Both technologies are about the same cost small scale these days. Think LED may still be grabbing more, but not because it costs more to make these days. Cause it's a."hip" thing to do. Mind you, a LED by nature will also always emit a portion of blue light. This is what everyone keeps telling folks about with televisions and other screens out there. It will ruin your eyes if prolonged exposure is experienced. It can cause mental issues like depression and anxiety. It can do all these things no matter what life form we speak of. Nature of the beast.

So when you speak of lighting for aquaria, there are expensive application specific options available. They do pretty good. Those multi-color ones are for things like Glo-fish tanks. Just a decorative thing. No real practical use. Just ooo and ahh. Spend the money, and get a good light for what you're trying to do. Strike that balance between fish and plant.

I will say, that I have been entertaining the idea of placing a tank in front of my window without a backing on it. Other than the UV block in the glass (which is why most glass experiments failed), this will provide the best natural lighting there is. I'm not convinced algae growth is enough to cause me to not do it. Plenty of small plecos on the market to take care of that. Cheapest light on the planet as well!

Blue lights can be used on marine tanks to encourage coral growth, and in freshwater as a night light so you can see the fish after dark.

Ultra violet (u/v) lights can be used on coral tanks but should not be used due to the risk of them causing skin cancer.
Is it true that UV lights are bad for fish. I thought I read that some where, when I was younger and having parties like you do in your 20's.:beer::drinks:

I need some big lights for my big tank. so I went to the hydroponics shop it's much cheaper there than at the aquarium shop.

Most reactions

Back