Seriously regretting decision to let snails breed...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok so I let my snails breed, and now they're all over my tank. Gonna try lettuce today but please give me some tips in the meantime. Thanks!

Snails (the small harmless ones as shown here) are your friends. They are very useful when it comes to breaking down organic matter which allows the various bacteria to act upon it more quickly. These snails eat algae (that you/we cannot even see), excess food if any, dead plant/animal matter, etc. This is all beneficial and part of a healthy ecosystem.

The snails will reproduce, according to the amount of available food in the tank. If this food cannot support the number of snails, they will not reproduce. So the number of snails you see is in relation to the available food they have, and the goal is to get that food out of the system as fast as one can, and the nails help with this.

Most of us have no idea how much organic matter is actually present, so these snails reproducing rapidly is a surprise. But they help in maintaining a balanced biological system, in the aquarium just as snails do in nature.

As for controlling them regardless of the above, I do not recommend Assassin Snails. If one of these should happen to get into your local ecosystem, they can reproduce and decimate the native snail species, which is never good. Chemicals like Coppersafe should never be used in a tank with fish or plants as this does impact both. And fish that will eat snails are not usually a good idea unless you have the tank space and setup suitable for the needs of the fish.

Nerites are nice, I miss mine (they hitched a lift on the internal filter one cleaning day and eventually dried out and died crawling around the carpet), but it could be argued the sterile eggs are way more ugly than an explosion of cute little pest snail babies.
It appears that I've been fortunate...only 3 visible batches and the ones on glass were relatively easy to remove. The others are hidden behind plants.

Cut a plastic water bottle at the shoulder. Throw the lid away and invert the “ shoulder upwards” piece into the bottom bit after putting a bit of lettuce/cucumber etc into it.
Leave in tank overnight.
Remove next morning.
Throw away the unwanted snails and return the wanted ones to the tank.
Rinse n repeat until snail numbers are more manageable.

Instead of throwing them away, can I just leave them at my local pond, there are many other snails there, and the ducks keep them in check.

Instead of throwing them away, can I just leave them at my local pond, there are many other snails there, and the ducks keep them in check.

No. None of us must ever place live fish, invertebrates or plants from an aquarium into the local ecosystem. This can have disastrous consequences for the native creatures.

I can understand that the species of snail you have might be native to your area since you are in Malaysia, but it is still not acceptable because you could introduce pathogens from an aquarium into the ecosystem.

If you are certain the snails are dead (i.e., you crush them) they could go in the garden or a compost or organic waste. Assassins are not a good idea; if they get into the local ecosystem by accident they can decimate the local species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back